Game 3 vs Owen Sound

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Game 3 vs Owen Sound

Postby JEF on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:24 am

Good effort. Good hustle.

Owen Sound's depth is a real plus for them. They can wear the Rangers down with it especially with our injuries. We basically went with 5 D, DiPerna, Hora, Vallati, Gentles and Roberts. They had to play a ton of minutes. Without Burns, Hall and Blaisdell our defence are doing the best they can. Even though the shots and play were in Owen Sound's favour, it was close for the first 2 periods.

Bunnaman and Meireles were both missed but the others stepped up in minutes played and work ethic. If only Garreffa had scored on that breakaway. A great move but what a save by McNiven.

Full credit to Owen Sound. They have talent, work hard and play a smart game and when things break down, they have McNiven in goal. Wednesday night should be a good one.
JEF

Re: Game 3 vs Owen Sound

Postby attackisback on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:24 am

its sad a city with the population of cambridge, kitchener, waterloo and surrounding communities cant fill a building for a 1st round matchup with a rival like owen sound.

"And the home side managed to hang around Monday before a small but vocal crowd of 4,771"
attackisback

Postby memcup on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 am

There were problems with the scanners or tickets last night. My tickets and others wouldn't scan so eventually they just went old school and ripped the stubs off.
Whether they were scanned later I couldn't tell you. So the reported attendance may have be a little low. I will not dispute the fact that attendance was down last night.
The difference between last night's numbers and the last couple of games down the stretch is that STH are counted in the regular season even when they don't show up, since those same empty seats translate into unsold playoff tickets the attendance figures should be more accurate and of course lower.

It was nice to see Opilka have a strong game. With 8 rookies in the lineup I'm not sure we could expect a better outcome.
memcup

Postby Toadman on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am

The attendance reported is ‘sold’ seats while the gate scan is a ticket validator I’ve been advised. Many part rows (3-5) of sold seats were empty in the golds and lower reds while large sections in the blues and high, corner reds were unsold at gametime as well. Some empty boxes too. I’d say the 4771 is probably at least a few hundred higher than were actually seated.

Last year there was 5,941 (Thurs-WSR) at the first home playoff game and 6,986 at the last (Thurs-LDN) playoff game.

My immediate section (all longtime STH) was about half non-STH last night and a row of 5 sold seats beside me were no-shows with several sold singles also going empty nearby. Lots of folks down from Owen Sound spread throughout the Aud which was good to see.

We hung around long enough in a one-sider last night that had Joe G scored we might have caught enough 'lift' to succeed. Hopefully a rested Bunnaman has a big night on Wednesday. Officiating ran hot and cold :roll:
Toadman

Postby Pitou on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:40 am

I know one of your "loyal" posters is much about the doom and gloom of the Rangers, but for a team hampered with injuries and being sellers at the deadline, they're putting up a worthy effort. Scoring depth just isn't there but there is no shortage of effort. I'm not suggesting the Rangers being "sellers" was not the right move but with a Bracco in the line-up and a few more healthy bodies on the back end, this battle is much tighter. Mascherin seems to be on the ice for some long shifts at times. Maybe it's just me.
Pitou

Postby Toadman on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Pitou
Mascherin seems to be on the ice for some long shifts at times. Maybe it's just me.

Top line shifts have been very long, especially with OS having us pinned in our end for lengthy periods. Guys typically looking pretty gassed once we do manage to break out.

Hora out (week-to-week) with upper-body injury after last night leaves a lot of minutes on D to cover :cry:
Toadman

Postby Pitou on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Toadman wrote:Pitou
Mascherin seems to be on the ice for some long shifts at times. Maybe it's just me.

Top line shifts have been very long, especially with OS having us pinned in our end for lengthy periods. Guys typically looking pretty gassed once we do manage to break out.

Hora out (week-to-week) with upper-body injury after last night leaves a lot of minutes on D to cover :cry:

Well, someone had to leave to make room for Bunnaman. :P
Pitou

Postby Taychuck on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Oh gee, would Hora be out from the non-called boarding hit he took in front of the penalty boxes and ended up with the interference penalty for shooting the stick away???

Officiating being hot and cold is an interesting comment....more cold than hot with the perpetual running of guys.

Guys like Gentles and Vallati have been severely targeted by OS which isn't right or wrong when we are already depleted on the back end makes it tough. But, were any of those targeted hits been boarding? Probably. Having said that about both guys though, does Roberts realize that they've both surpassed him in not only in skills but in the pecking order too? He should and if he doesn't someone should be telling him.

I find it interesting the McGill has banned Farwell from talking to OS players. Not sure why the players are off limits for Farwell's criticism of McGill playing his top line for 3 minutes of a power play in a blowout game. He didn't criticize the players. Besides, when does he speak to them anyway? Torch does the pre-game interviews.
Taychuck

Postby wrister on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 pm

I agree about OS and the targeting, it will only get worse now. Why was Schmaltz given so much ice time last night, he was blatantly trying to run whoever was near. He acted like a runaway freight train just trying to line someone up. Good thing he is so clumsy and didn`t really connect but it appeared that our guys were aware of his nonsense when he was out there. In the one scrum in our corner near the end of the game when double minors were given out for roughing, Schmaltz just kept going around in a circle and punching whoever he could reach.
wrister

Postby Pitou on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:47 pm

The Attack were only 2 minutes higher than Erie for the least penalized team in the league this year in regular season. Goon hockey is not their brand. Kitchener set the tone in game one with edgy, physical play. Hypocritical to complain about it now. Schmaltz had 49 PIM's all year. Hora, Llewellyn, DiPerna and Seitz all had more. Schmaltz could stand to be a lot more physical for his size IMO. Gadjovich got run into the end boards after conceding an icing. That's one of many on the flip side. It's playoff hockey. Enjoy the intensity.
Pitou

Postby wrister on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Regular season stats are out the window in the playoffs. Teams use totally different approach, and it`s a no brainer that teams will target the weakest point in their opposition. We are too small a team to play the heavy game, we now have 4 top line D and one top centre off with injuries. It`s obvious who is going to be targeted for the next game. It is playoff hockey and that`s the way the cookie crumbles, every dog has it`s day.
wrister

Return to RangersRush Interactive