Game 4 vs Owen Sound

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Game 4 vs Owen Sound

Postby JEF on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:37 am

Owen Sound's work ethic is always high level. Their talent and skill level is one of the best in the OHL. They are one heck of a team.

The Rangers are down 4 regular defensemen. They're younger than the Attack and their skill and talent level are currently no match for the Attack.

What I've seen since the first game in this series is a massive compete level, a ton of heart, amazing goaltending by Opilka, players stepping up with increased ice-time and bigger roles.

We were outshot 70-20. Owen Sound dominated throughout the game. They hit every Ranger in sight. BUT the Rangers didn't bend, they hung in there, worked their butts off, hustled and played their hearts out. Eventually the Attack wore them down on the score clock but not before one heck of a fight.

The compete level shown in this series, the elevated play, the ability to rise up to the situation, the heart will carry over to next season and be a bonus.

It's never fun losing, but when you get the effort the Rangers are giving, it sure takes a lot of the sting of losing away.
JEF

Re: Game 4 vs Owen Sound

Postby wrister on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:07 am

What a gutsy performance! I`m betting that McGill burned the ears of his players between the 2nd and 3rd period intermission, fearing an upset win and tied series going home. Cudos to the Rangers for their tremendous effort against almost impossible odds.
wrister

Postby Number65 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:35 am

If last night was the last home game of the season, we sure got our money's worth.

Some observations:

- Bunnaman, Mereiles and Mascherin (the MM-Bop line?) is a good combination. I don't know why we haven't seen it before this season.
- I was very impressed by the play of Eric Guest. It was what I was hoping to see from him all year, so hopefully he carries it forward to next season.
- Yantsis is a keeper. I could see him getting 20-30 goals next year, which is amazing for a FA pickup not named Debrincat.
- I think McHugh is playing hurt. He had zero time on the PK and barely hit the ice after the first period.
- I was not sold on the idea of Opilka coming back for an OA season. Now I definitely am. I think that puts either Burns or Blaisdell on the trading block (with Henderson being the other OA).
Number65

Postby puckhead7 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:00 am

The one thing you really notice with Owen Sound is the compete level of every player. They never stop skating and are very physical. I like Mascherin. He has all the talent needed to be a pro, but the more you watch him, the more you see the lack of compete. He just isn't interested in defending or picking up a trailer. I would love to see him play more like a Mike Duco and be first on the puck, winning all the battles. At this time of year, your best players should be able to carry a team and raise their game. Unfortunately, we are not seeing that from #23. Yantsis has more goals than him in the playoffs despite playing a handful of shifts in a game.
puckhead7

Return to RangersRush Interactive