Next Year

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Next Year

Postby Overager on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 am

I have no idea as to how MacKenzie will do as our new manager. However, as most fan quarterbacks,I have opinions about the future.
Our scouting staff , which has changed very little over the past number of years, needs an overhaul.However, that can't change until after this year's draft.
Brown mentioned in his write-up after last night's game that almost the entire Ranger team will be back next year. While this is true it is important to realize that almost the entire Owen Sound team will also be back! Both teams have four last year players (97 birthdates)and three of those can return as overagers.I like Owen Sound's position.Their returning overagers have more to offer than ours.Much more! Opilka ,for the most part , was very good in this series but marginal in the regular season. Can he stay healthy and continue to perform as a top level goalie? The other overage candidates (Henderson, Blaisdell,and Burns) are questionable.Henderson brings a total of 6 goals from this season.Not a dynamic forward. In hockey it's often not a case of how many players you have returning but how good are those players.Some other teams have a quality team returning.
Can Mac Kenzie exert his authority or will he lean on Hiebert?
Much has been said about Hiebert's stock pile of draft picks. That's well and good but many are far down the road and have little value in actual bodies in the near future.
Will MacKenzie bring in a new person as an assistant or simply promote from within?
Just some questions looking ahead and I realize that not everyone will see things the same way. What are your feelings and remember, I'm not part of the team, just another fan.Criticize my thoughts; not me .
Overager

Re: Next Year

Postby kitfan on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Much has been said about Hiebert's stock pile of draft picks. That's well and good but many are far down the road and have little value in actual bodies in the near future.

The draft picks may be in the future but can be used at any point to trade for players they may want now. A lot of people don't understand that these picks can be used at anytime they don't have to wait to use the picks in the year they are slated for.
kitfan

Postby BrantfordRanger on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:38 am

I think we're trying to assess a team with a lot of unanswered questions.

Yes, we know that we have very few graduating players. What is graduating will deplete a lot of our defensive depth. That's true. You can't complete unless you replace DiPerna and Hora. Even if you wanted to look at this in the aggregate - that Hall and Vallati replace Hora and DiPerna and you're really just replacing what you got from Vallati and Hall this year, it's still a task. Fair enough. You don't know who's going to report. If someone like Tyler Inamoto shows up, that changes things.

You don't know what you're going to get at 11th Overall this year. That's going to be a pretty good player. How much impact they'll have depends on a number of factors. Similarly, you don't know what you're going to get if you trade the rights to Merrick Rippon or trade to clear up a congested goaltending pipeline. We used five goaltenders this year, four of them are eligible to return. You've got to move one of them. Opie has the best track record and, therefore the most trade value. But also represents the team's best ability to contend. Luke Richardson and Chris McGonigle both looked solid for stretches this season and could foreseeably shoulder the load next season in tandem. But you're betting on the unproven there.

Where it seems we're unlikely to have problems - barring injuries - is scoring. We're returning two forwards with 40 goal potential (Mascherin and Bunnaman), one with 30 goal potential (Garreffa) and some solid young depth behind them in Meireles, McHugh and Damiani. We also have open questions in Guest and Yantsis. Should Lias Andersson report - a matter which will be entirely up to the NHL team that drafts him (and they'll have AHL and Swedish options) - we won't hurt for scoring depth.

And this is where I don't understand Rangers fans right now. Based on what we know right now, this isn't a bad team. Is it better than Owen Sound going into next year? No. But I don't think it's as far off as others think. You add Lias Andersson, Tyler Inamoto and an asset or two acquired in trades - particularly on defence - and this is a highly competitive team.

The big question mark, as it is for all teams, is injury. That's an important one to consider. We got 32 games out of Blaisdell and Hall combined this year. We lost 15 from Frank Hora. Opie probably missed 20 starts at the start of the season. That's considerable missed time from guys you rely on to keep the puck out of your net.

Our New GM has some assets to work with. You don't know what internal improvement you're going to see. Keep the faith Rangers Nation!
BrantfordRanger

Postby Deener on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:22 pm

BrantfordRanger wrote:And this is where I don't understand Rangers fans right now. Based on what we know right now, this isn't a bad team. Is it better than Owen Sound going into next year? No. But I don't think it's as far off as others think. You add Lias Andersson, Tyler Inamoto and an asset or two acquired in trades - particularly on defence - and this is a highly competitive team.

I don't think there is anything to suggest right now that Tyler Inamoto has any intent on showing up. Anderson will be dictated by whoever drafts him.

Not a bad team going into next year, but certainly not world beaters either.
Deener

Postby Taychuck on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:49 pm

While Henderson's offensive #'s are poor and we know that scoring distribution is an issue, not everything can be measured on that. Henderson brings a decent defensive game and that's valuable especially if we don't improve our back end.

My concern is still size. There is no way in hades teams carry big players that don't do anything other than hit. They have to have other skills too. Our team is small and the bigger players we have don't play big. In a 7 game series you are not going to win with a team that is our size playing against a big and tough OS, Windsor etc. Our guys were beat to crap in 5 games with OS. Guys like Valati with a bad knee and Gentles are not big guys. Roberts is small and can't handle anyone of any size. Hora & Di Perna were our foundation back there and they were getting pounded and they're decent sized guys.

Someone wrote previously about Di Perna not getting a contract anywhere due to his skating. Not sure what you watched especially this season. He's a very good skater and I hope he gets a chance to play pro somewhere.
Taychuck

Postby Number65 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 pm

I think Tortora is more likely to show up than Inamoto. Either would do a lot to make us a contender.

We'll probably end up drafting a D-man in the first round, since that's where we have the biggest need. Of course, it depends who is available when our pick comes up.
Number65

Postby JEF on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Where we're at as of now for next season:

Goal

McGonigle
Opilka (OA)
Pfeil
Richardson

Defence

Blaisdell (OA)
Burns (OA)
Gentles
Hall
Peterson
Roberts
Vallati

Forward

Bunnaman
Carter
Damiani
Garreffa
Henderson (OA)
Mascherin
McHugh
Meireles
Peyton
Schiemenz (Import)
Seitz
Yantsis
JEF

Postby Overager on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:32 pm

jef- I hope you don't think that this looks like a relatively strong line up because,if you do, then you haven't been looking at what other teams have returning. Any draft picks will be 16 years old and unless their name happens to be McDavid or Crosby then I don't expect them to have an impact in their first year.
Overager

Return to RangersRush Interactive