Logan Stanley Rumour

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Logan Stanley Rumour

Postby JEF on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:44 am

ICYMI. Josh Brown's Story on the rumour Logan Stanley is coming to Kitchener.

Stanley to Rangers rumours heating up
Josh Brown

Waterloo Region Record | 12 hours ago

Rumours
The rumour mill has Waterloo native Logan Stanley playing in a Rangers uniform next season.
KITCHENER — There were whispers a couple of months back.

But rumours that hulking Waterloo native Logan Stanley is en route to the Aud are gaining steam.

Sources say that Kitchener and Windsor have an understanding that the six-foot-seven, 231-pound Spitfires defenceman will swap sweaters for a pair of second-round draft picks at some point after the Memorial Cup ends.

But that's news to Rangers general manager Mike McKenzie.

"I haven't heard anything," he said.

Stanley is one of the most imposing players in the Ontario Hockey League and would be a giant addition to Kitchener's blue-line.

The Rangers and Spitfires have history.

The teams made a major trade just before the league's deadline in early January, when Kitchener sent star winger Jeremy Bracco and two draft picks to the Spits for defenceman Andrew Burns, forward Cole Carter and three second-round selections.

To some observers the Rangers' return seemed a tad light.

Stanley is currently on the sidelines after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, which puts his presence in next month's Memorial Cup in jeopardy. Ironically, he suffered the setback in a 4-3 shootout loss to Kitchener at the Aud on Jan. 17.

The Spitfires were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs after losing to the London Knights in seven games, but get an automatic berth into the Memorial Cup as hosts. It runs May 18-28 at the WFCU Centre.

"We got the guys from Windsor that we got," said McKenzie. "That's (acquiring Stanley) not something that has ever come up. He can (come to Kitchener) if he wants, because he's not a bad player, but it's nothing we've heard."

Stanley was selected by the Winnipeg Jets in the first round (18th overall) in last year's NHL draft, which probably makes next season his final one at the junior level. The 18-year-old has a no-trade clause with the Spits, which requires him, his parents and agent Rob Hooper to sign off on any deal.

"Never say never, but certainly I have not been made aware of it (a trade)," said Hooper.

Windsor could be a seller in the off-season in a bid to rebuild, after loading up with talent for a run this year. The league is currently under a trade freeze and teams can't make deals until June 1.

"I think they (Spitfires) have to pivot to a rebuild," said Hooper. "I was looking at the draft grid and I know they're not laden with a lot of picks in rounds two through five, so I think at some point in time they are going to have to trade some pieces to get some picks back, so they can rebuild."

Kitchener could use a veteran boost in the back end, with overage defencemen Frank Hora and Dylan Di Perna graduating from the league.

Despite their departure, the Rangers still have several options on the blue-line: Andrew Burns, Doug Blaisdell, Connor Hall, Giovanni Vallati, Elijah Roberts, Kyle Gentles and Alex Peterson. The team also selected defenceman Grayson Ladd with its first pick in Saturday's OHL draft.

Stanley would add instant leadership, size and grit, which are qualities the Rangers covet.

The former Waterloo Wolves player had four goals and 13 assists in 35 games this past season for the Spitfires, before injuring his knee.

jbrown@therecord.com ,

Twitter: @BrownRecord
JEF

Re: Logan Stanley Rumour

Postby EchoThree on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:10 am

Seems pretty speculative, but Stanley would be a great addition. If it happens, hopefully the league doesn't see it as collusion between the teams (arranging future deals is now prohibited in the OHL). The fact that it is now reported in the newspaper is probably not great as it shows there may have been previous conversations about this.
EchoThree

Postby JEF on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 am

I believe as long as the same pieces received in the trade are not returned to get the agreed upon player these agreements are okay.

Much has been said about how we have to compete better with London. This type of deal, if true is something like they did with us in the Steve Mason deal.

We got Steve Mason. The Knights got Phil Varone, Steve Tarasuk, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick in 2011 and a 2nd rounder in 2012.

When we traded Kadri to the Knights we got a 2nd round selection in 2011 and 2012 and 3rd round in 2011.

So the 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2011 and the 2nd round in 2012 came back.

That type of deal where the exact picks come back is no longer allowed. As long as we don't trade the 2nd round picks in 2023 and 24 back, the deal would be okay.

If this rumour turns out to be true, then the creativity shown is something we need to be an elite team.
JEF

Postby Medway Bear on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:42 pm

If the Rangers do add Stanley in this deal and he is injury free, does it make them a contender? If not what is the point as we would be gone after one season? May be they could trade him for more than they paid, but it is a real head scratcher. Certainly not the young player everyone was wanting. Ah well, have to wait and see.
Medway Bear

Postby SurrealCivic on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:03 pm

If the rumor eventually turns into reality, Logan would be a great leader for the young defencemen on this team. And we have a lot of young defencemen. Makes you wonder who would get moved too.
SurrealCivic

Postby pokey on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 pm

I feel that the Rangers management could think they could go for it if Stanley is added. And then we are again good team but not great. The focus should be getting 17 and 18 year olds this offseason not 19. I can see us being 3 or 4 in the conference with adding Stanley and management thinking...we are pretty good let's spend some assests to get better (but still not elite). If they would get Stanley and trade him for a boat load I would be very happy with that. Masc and bunnaman would fetch a boat load too. You then use those assests to built around a very solid core of the 16 and 17 years olds this team has in place and then you could have yourself a championship caliber team.

Which way do I think the Rangers management would tend to go if they get Stanley....we are good so let's spend some assests....which I hate cause that puts us back in 3rd or 4th in conference in my opinion for the next 3-4 years.
pokey

Postby Sideliner on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm

All good points, and one could certainly argue that as of today we don't have the players to make us a contender. However this is junior hockey, and there are always a lot of unknowns - will there be a player(s) unexpectedly report ? import pick(s), will more players improve like, for instance, Gareffa did? .... how about an off-season or early season trade? Personally, I want to see where this team is in December before I form any opinion on what direction the team should ultimately go in.

Maybe the Stanley rumour has no substance, but if it does, and the deal is fair, I'm not necessarily opposed to it. You can always sell at the trade deadline.
Sideliner

Postby Sideliner on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Delete
Sideliner

Postby Toadman on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 pm

I suppose the initial hope is that we could develop as a 2017-18 contender based around a (likely) final year core of Mascherin, Bunnaman, Opilka, Hall, Blaisdell & Stanley and whoever emerges from the current roster &/or MM signs (new imports, high draftees, prior draftees, FAs). Logan is a pretty compelling addition and a piece that we haven’t had for years in many respects (huge & gritty with a heavy shot). If it’s not a win-win and he shines while the team flops, I suppose there’s opportunity to recoup a couple 2nds in our big sell-off at the deadline if he wants to play for a contender.
Toadman

Postby LoneRanger on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 am

Management is feeling the heat from the fans and the pressure is on to put together a winning team...although just about everyone is eligible to return,you can expect some of those returnees to be moved...Stanley is just the start,expect at least one more new d-man to be brought in...it's going to be a very interesting off season and training camp
LoneRanger

Postby Kadri_Leafs1990 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:06 pm

LoneRanger wrote:Management is feeling the heat from the fans and the pressure is on to put together a winning team...although just about everyone is eligible to return,you can expect some of those returnees to be moved...Stanley is just the start,expect at least one more new d-man to be brought in...it's going to be a very interesting off season and training camp

I feel like some pieces from this current team are going to be traded as well. Maybe see some similar trades like the Aleardi-Tippoff deals.

I'm not sold on next year being a better year for Kitchener as some people suggest. (Not just here but on HF). Everyone looks at the amount of returning players that are coming back but I only see a few quality players and a ton of question marks. I think Kitchener will be sitting around that 3-4-5 spot but mainly due to teams taking steps back....Erie, Soo, maybe Windsor, aren't going to be the cream of the crop next year. Plus Sarnia, Guelph, Saginaw and Flint all look very average at best.

We shall see, I know we will all be cheering in the fall. But we will see.

I think some current players will get moved either in the off season or in September.

I could see Roberts being dealt. Lets be honest it hasn't worked out here. You don't want to run the potential of having him play 3 seasons in the same systems with no development. Especially considering he was dubbed to be a PP QB one day. Change of scenery would be nice for him.
Kadri_Leafs1990

Postby Overager on Wed May 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Gossip is beginning to circulate that Stanley is coming to Kitchener. Any truth?
Overager

Return to RangersRush Interactive