Merrick Rippon Trade?

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Merrick Rippon Trade?

Postby JEF on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Merrick Rippon has de-commited to Providence College.

On Twitter Ryan Kennedy from The Hockey News said:

"OHL Kitchener in process of trading away rights to 2018 NHL draft prospect Merrick Rippon. Two Eastern Conference teams battling for D-man"

This is good news for the Rangers. They will get a nice return for a 2nd round pick who wanted to play somewhere else. Maybe it's his hometown of Ottawa. Maybe Mississauga where the media spotlight, attendance and pressure is lower. Maybe Sudbury where Owen Lalonde wants out? Maybe packaged with someone else for a bigger deal?
JEF

Re: Merrick Rippon Trade?

Postby DrummondIsGod on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:38 pm

What are the reasons for not wanting to play in Kitchener?
DrummondIsGod

Postby Sideliner on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:08 pm

JEF wrote:Merrick Rippon has de-commited to Providence College.

On Twitter Ryan Kennedy from The Hockey News said:

"OHL Kitchener in process of trading away rights to 2018 NHL draft prospect Merrick Rippon. Two Eastern Conference teams battling for D-man"

This is good news for the Rangers. They will get a nice return for a 2nd round pick who wanted to play somewhere else. Maybe it's his hometown of Ottawa. Maybe Mississauga where the media spotlight, attendance and pressure is lower. Maybe Sudbury where Owen Lalonde wants out? Maybe packaged with someone else for a bigger deal?

I'm not sure which outcome will be more interesting to see:
MM's ability to get some quality assets in return for a promising, yet unproven - at least in this league - D-man who has no intention to play in Kitchener, or..........

Seeing how well MM's first two 2017 draft picks (gambles?) pan out - one chosen completely off the board, the other - a valuable 2nd round pick who was highly ranked in the draft, yet uncommitted to the team drafting him.

IMO these are three very important things that could define MM early in his career.
Is he cocky?
Is a genius?
Is he a high-stakes gambler?
Is he lucky?
Will there be excuses if things don't pan out?

We will eventually find out. A lot at risk here from what I see.
The outcome could potentially give the team a huge boost to the near and midterm successes, or it could knock the team's fortunes down a few rungs for a few years.

Stay tuned.
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Sideliner, I don't disagree with you, but I believe there is a fine line. If a player wants to dictate where they play why should a team not draft them? Look at Owen Sound. They drafted Victor Mete. He wanted to play in London and London wanted him. Granted it's a different situation because he was a first round pick, but Owen Sound got 3 second round picks, 2 third round picks and a 6th round pick.

Rippon chose not to come here and instead committed to Providence College which was basically just a bluff to force the Rangers to trading him. Now the Rangers will get value for him and instead of losing a 2nd round pick may actually pick up more than one 2nd round pick.
JEF

Postby Overager on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Is this another player who ends up in London? At one time Kitchener was a "chosen destination" but we have dropped out of that category.
Overager

Postby memcup on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:42 pm

It may be just hearsay but apparently this is a case of not wanting to play with a certain player and not about not wanting to play in Kitchener.
memcup

Postby Sideliner on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:39 pm

JEF wrote:Sideliner, I don't disagree with you, but I believe there is a fine line. If a player wants to dictate where they play why should a team not draft them? Look at Owen Sound. They drafted Victor Mete. He wanted to play in London and London wanted him. Granted it's a different situation because he was a first round pick, but Owen Sound got 3 second round picks, 2 third round picks and a 6th round pick.

Rippon chose not to come here and instead committed to Providence College which was basically just a bluff to force the Rangers to trading him. Now the Rangers will get value for him and instead of losing a 2nd round pick may actually pick up more than one 2nd round pick.

No problem JEF. I welcome comments from anyone, whether they agree or disagree. Mind you the more civil the posts the better...and I know your posts are always well thought out.

I agree on what you're saying about Rippon, and as luck (good fortune) would have it, he is going to come to the OHL. Kitchener holds his rights and therefore will get a return on their investment. The question now is - how good will that return be since he has not played a game in this league, and he's a year older. As I mentioned, in my opinion this will be the first of three things in which I am anxious to see how well MM does.

The other two will likely take longer to find out. Rippon will gain Kitchener something at least. The next question is whether or not this year's 2nd rounder will eventually report. I think the two situations could be an apples-oranges comparison....but who knows?
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 am

Sideliner, I completely agree with you. This will be a time when we see what Mike McKenzie does as he moves this talented player. I feel he's going to get a good return as he makes the team into the vision he is wanting it to be. He's already shown a bit of that by adding Andreas Karlsson to the coaching staff and removing Jason Fortier. When he was named GM he said he wanted the Rangers to return to being one of the OHL's elite teams. This shows he's aware that things have been mediocre. With the facilities, fan base, tradition, resources and location the Rangers have, they should be an elite team and he wants them to be.

He will put his own stamp on this team and the decisions have to be his because it's his seat in the GM's chair now. I think he's going to do well as a GM and we'll see some different and improved results in drafting, trading, recruitment and development. I hope Vukojevic reports. We'd certainly have a talented defence if he does.

I can hardly wait to see training camp open and the season start. Positive change begins when it does.
JEF

Postby Sideliner on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:28 pm

If it's picks only I would be disappointed if the return wasn't two 2nd rounders minimum.
Sideliner

Postby pokey on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm hearing he has been traded to Missy for draft picks....don't know what picks yet though.
pokey

Postby Toadman on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Rippon to Mississauga for:

2nd round pick (NIA) in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection
2nd round pick (MIS) in 2021 and one of either:
- a Conditional 2nd (BAR) in 2023
- a Conditional 3rd (MIS) in 2023
- a Conditional 4th (MIS) in 2023

Conditional pick apparently tied to Rippon's NHL draft selection round.
Last edited by Toadman on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toadman

Postby Sideliner on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Good deal. MM is batting 1 for 1 in my opinion.
Sideliner

Postby Sideliner on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:51 pm

...and Josh Brown reminds us........
The Rangers now have three second round picks in next year's OHL draft.
At least the Rangers have some amo if they decide take a run at it.
To be clear, I am not saying that they are.
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:05 pm

GREAT return for Rippon.

2nd - 2018
2nd - 2023

Conditional - 2023

either a
2nd
3rd
or 4th round pick
JEF