2017-18 Projection roster

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

2017-18 Projection roster

Postby pokey on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:43 pm

For the first time in many years I like what I see. Here is my projection roster for the upcoming season. I have added 2 OA spots as I feel the Rangers can greatly improve these spots and it can be done most years fairly cheap. I really like the depth up front, having Hall and Stanley on seperate pairings and been able to shut down the offence. I have faith Oplika can get back to form and be a top 5 to 8 goalie in the league this year. Richardson is a great back up.

If by chance the team isn't where it should be at trade deadline you flip Mash, Bunn, Hall and Stanley for a boat load and you look really good the year after.

Mascherin - Bunnaman - OA
Meireles - Hugg - Gareffa
Carter - Damiani - Liska
McHugh - Guest - Seitz
Spare - Yantsis

Stanley - OA
Hall - Vallati
Ladd - Roberts
Spare - Gentles

Opilka (OA)
Richardson

Trade/cut - Henderson, Burns, Baisdell, Peterson
pokey

Re: 2017-18 Projection roster

Postby Sideliner on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Yeah what do you do with McHugh, Carter, Guest, Seitz and Yansis? These guys are no longer rookies and you likely don't want (any of ?) them lingering on your 4th line. I think you need at least one rookie forward getting some ice time every now and then. So hopefully at least one 2017 draft pick makes it. McHugh and Seitz likely have the best shot at making it through - each for different reasons. I think you only keep one of the other three, but that certainly isn't my call.
Sideliner

Postby Medway Bear on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Sideliner wrote:Yeah what do you do with McHugh, Carter, Guest, Seitz and Yansis? These guys are no longer rookies and you likely don't want (any of ?) them lingering on your 4th line. I think you need at least one rookie forward getting some ice time every now and then. So hopefully at least one 2017 draft pick makes it. McHugh and Seitz likely have the best shot at making it through - each for different reasons. I think you only keep one of the other three, but that certainly isn't my call.

Who you keep is tricky. I really wouldn't like to make the decision. It might be not who you want to keep but who you can get the most for.
Medway Bear

Postby pokey on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 pm

I think the only 2017 drafted player that would get a for sure roster spot besides Ladd is Vukojevic (who is better then Ladd). I think in a year you are going for it there is nothing wrong with having a good to great 4th line. I remember Deboer use to roll 4 lines very consistently and it would only really change with PP, PK and the last 10 minutes of the game would he give his star players the extra ice time. This gives all forwards more rest, they aren't burnt out come playoff time and all players got to develop. Also helps a lot when 2 or 3 guys go down with an injury you have very capable players to set up. I could see them flipping Guest as he would draw interest and could be the start (picks involved) of getting a very good 18/19 year old. All other players mentioned are 18 or 19 and in a trade you are trying to get a good older player teams always want the 16/17 year old to built for future. I still feel they need to add a very good D and winger but I'm very happy with the base of the team right now.
pokey

Postby BrantfordRanger on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:05 am

Mascherin - Bunnaman - Meireles

Meireles brings a necessary element of speed and a pass-first mentality to the line. He also has the potential to be a 70 point players with these linemates.

Liska - Hugg - Gareffa

Liska is the biggest question mark for me here. Hugg played against men last year during stints in the SHL and everyone is shocked he wasn't picked in the NHL Draft. This also gets Gareffa away from the tough matchups.

McHugh - Damiani - Carter/Yantsis

McHugh and Damiani will cause chaos with their speed. If Carter fits anywhere in this line up it's here. Although, I think Yantsis' size could have significant potential on the cycle with two guys that can skate like McHugh and Damiani.

Carter/Yantsis/Henderson - Guest - Seitz

There's a lot of value in having a fourth line that can take a regular shift and still bring a physical presence. Seitz and Guest are good hockey players that can play a regular shift of 10ish minutes a game and move up the line up in the event of injuries. This is not a very big team. Henderson is going to be necessary for this team.

Stanley - Hall

Both can eat minutes. Both have offensive upside. Both are physical beasts. You don't compete without a big defence pairing

Vallati - Blaisdell

Vallati can play up with Hall or Stanley if you want to break them up. Both players compliment each other's style. If Blaisdell can stay healthy, he should be capable of logging big minutes.

Roberts - Ladd

Roberts, like Vallati, can play further up the lineup if needed and will be a good partner for Ladd. He skates well enough to cover up for typical mistakes made by a rookie defence partner.

Gentles - Peterson/Vukojevic

Opilka
Richardson
BrantfordRanger

Postby Medway Bear on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:18 pm

If the Rangers are going for it, I like a 4th line that can play as a shutdown line as well as contribute on a higher line in case of the expected injuries. For me that is Henderson, McHugh and Seitz. A player I am not sure where to place is Yantsis. At times last season he look like he had a nose for goal, but I want to see how he goes in a full season. The top six forwards Mascherin, Bunnaman, Meirless, Liska, Hugg and Geraffa will play in different combination as the season progresses.

As for defence until I see who is turning in October I will think about that then.
Medway Bear

Postby Sideliner on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Great rundown BR. Some interesting combos and comments.
I guess there's different views on the make up of a 4th line. I know Pokey favours rolling 4 lines that consists of veterans (if I've correctly iterpereted his post) and you mention that you'd like see that line getting a regular shift. i agree it's good to give your 4th line minutes, so maybe we all agree to some degree.

To me though, I don't think many vets want 4th line minutes. The other thing too is, if you roll 4 lines that means taking away minutes from your top line(s). I realize it boils down to what those 4th line minutes are. Mind you if none of the rookies impress at camp then this team may have to consider an all-vet 4th line. Here's hoping Gordon steps it up at main camp. I'd hate to see him suffer the same fate as (former fellow 3rd rounders) Commerford and Mezzaros. I guess speaking of 3rd rounders, Guest will also need to prove he belongs. He did look decent enough in the spring camp scrimmage that I saw.
Sideliner

Postby Sideliner on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:42 pm

BrantfordRanger wrote:
Liska is the biggest question mark for me here. Hugg played against men last year during stints in the SHL and everyone is shocked he wasn't picked in the NHL Draft.

I haven't seen any video on Liska, but the Youtube on Hugg's play impresses me.
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:45 am

MM and the coaches have lots of options and some tough decisions. Currently in the mix for positions

Goal: Luke Opilka, Luke Richardson, Chris McGonigle, Lucas Pfeil

Defence: Doug Blaisdell, Connor Hall, Andrew Burns, Logan Stanley, Elijah Roberts, Giovanni Vallati, Kyle Gentles, Alex Peterson, Grayson Ladd

Forward: Adam Mascherin, Connor Bunnaman, Joseph Garreffa, Riley Damiani, Greg Meireles, Jake Henderson, Nick McHugh, Cole Carter, Dylan Seitz, Jonathon Yantsis, Rickard Hugg, Adam Liska, Eric Guest, Liam Peyton, Michael Petizian,Matt Gordon.

4 Goalies, 9 Defense, 16 Forwards and there is the possibility that some more shine at training camp

Ladd, Petizian and Gordon are all signed. My guess is they'll play.

2 OA Defense with Blaisdell and Burns. One OA forward - Henderson. One OA Goalie - Opilka.

Goal Richardson is a 99. McGonigle is a 98
Defense 3 are 98s, 2 are 99s. 1 each of 2000 and 2001
Forward 3 are 98s, 7 are 99s, 3 are 2000s, 2 are 01s

I would guess a package trade might be an option along with some reassignments to Tier 2 or Jr B Teams.

Training camp will be extremely competitive. With this group of players a fourth line player could likely be a 2nd or 3rd line player on a weaker team. It will be important that players accept their line assignment with a team first attitude.
JEF

Postby Sideliner on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 pm

You bring up an interesting point of discussion. The DOB breakdown. One could likely now consider the Rangers as one of the older teams in the league. With that many '98's and 99's. Many contending teams tend to load up with 19 year-olds for their run. Having 6 on this squad (not taking McGonigle into consideration), this number could arguably be considered average. To me, it's the large number of '99's that jumps out. So what do you do?

Do you trade a couple of those '99's for a quality '98 (giving up the age premium and a bit of quantity to "dangle the carrot")? In the process you're balancing out your age groups a bit at the upper end.

Or suppose both Hugg and Liska turn out to be the real deal, while Meireles and McHugh make good progress, and Garreffa has another good year........ do you then hang on to all your 99's hoping that you can reload for another shot next season with a boatload of (potentially talented) 19 year-olds?

Do you go with the status quo (roughly what you've indicated JEF), wait til the trade deadline and part with a promising young player+ the usual boatload of picks from the next decade, if the Rangers are near the top of the standings?
Sideliner

Postby Sideliner on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:53 pm

By the way, when are they going to get these imports to sign? Did anyone tell them they've been drafted yet?
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:35 am

Sideliner there sure are some interesting options and tough choices to be made. I'm not suggesting status quo. My thought when I posted was to put the stats together so it would illustrate the tough but good decisions MM might make and of course let all of us GM and Coaching hopefuls have some fun :lol: Trying to put line combination and defence pairings together is challenging.

I think there will be a trade made to add some proven scoring.

Training Camp will be very interesting.
JEF

Postby Sideliner on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:50 pm

I said..

"Do you go with the status quo (roughly what you've indicated JEF)"

Sorry JEF, poor wording on my part. What I meant to say was do the Rangers stay with DOB mix as it stands now - based on the DOB information that you have taken the time to provide for us. I know you were'n't suggesting that MM necessarily stands pat. In fact it is unlikely. Looking at just the forwards I think you're almost guaranteed to see Mascherin, Bunnaman, Garreffa, Liska, Hugg, Damiani and Meireles in the line-up. After that it may be hard to say. Some may suggest that we do not even consider making McHugh part of any potential deal. After all, he does have that great speed and knack for scoring shorties. But it may take offering a guy like McHugh and his talent to get a quality OA forward (?)

On the backend, Stanley, Hall, Vallati and Ladd will quite likely be there. You could make an argument for Roberts and maybe Blaisdell too I suppose, but after that I'm not sure.
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:00 am

Sideliner, interesting post. I too have tried to figure out those I would definitely keep and those who might be tradeable or moveable. I can get to the point like you where I have my keepers but can't seem to decide for sure who doesn't stay. Bottom line is to obtain someone good, we'll have to give up quality. I tend to give sentimental value to our players. I've got to remove emotion from decisions.
JEF

Postby Sideliner on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Yeah, I admit although I do throw names out there, I will say I'm not always comfortable doing it.

So as per the other thread, it looks like Roberts - a '99 as you've pointed out - is one way to make room at the back-end. I think you could make a case either way, but to me this seems like a logical move, and starts to balance out the DOB's a bit. Beyond what I would consider the "7 untouchable" forwards (arguably) I think something has gotta give on the others. Seems like MM is willing to address this sooner than later.
Sideliner

Next

Return to RangersRush Interactive