2017-18 Projection roster

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Re: 2017-18 Projection roster

Postby JEF on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:53 am

I give Mike McKenzie high marks. In a very short time he has made some terrific moves. Getting Logan Stanley evened out the Jeremy Bracco trade and made our defence much better. Trading Merrick Rippon and Elijah Roberts brought in draft picks that give us currency for trades and keeps our draft pick supply healthy.

2018 - Three 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks

2019 - Two 2nd round and one 3rd round.

2020 - One 2nd but two if Tortora doesn't play here and one 3rd

2021 - One 2nd but two if Tortora doesn't play here and two 3rds

It appears we'll have 2 impact import players.

There will be healthy competition for roster spots and the possibility of more trades to upgrade the talent. After last season I knew there would be some players who wouldn't return this season and some changes were coming. Our GM has done well reshaping this team so far. I'm really looking forward to this season
JEF

Postby Sideliner on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm not sure actually who gets the credit for the Stanley deal in the end. Was it a deal made by MH back at the deadline? Or was it all MM? Back when Bracco was traded I do know there were high expectations to get that young future star - as most teams would get in return for a high-end player. So what shakes out in the end is that the Rangers get a solid vet in return on this deal, skipping the process of dealing young talent.

I like the look of that list of accumulated draft picks. Looks much better than about 5 years ago.
Last edited by Sideliner on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Good points Sideliner. Typically a team will trade their veteran star player for the other team's young star. The thought being, the veteran star helps one team now and future star will help the other team in the future years as they rebuild.

These trades were outside the box. Bracco helped Windsor for last season. Stanley will help us this season.

I'm impressed with our draft pick cupboard. The 2 import players coming is a positive sign and that positions will be competed for is good too. I can't wait for training camp to open so we can see who is performing well.

We're in a much better place than we were at the end of last season.
JEF

Postby Medway Bear on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Tweet from the St Louis Blues

Blues goalie prospect Luke Opilka had successful hip surgery and will be sidelined until December. http://atnhl.com/2x140WW #stlblues
Medway Bear

Postby Sideliner on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:15 pm

This is definitely a concern....and him coming back as the trade deadline approaches isn't great either. Hopefully he recovers sooner and gets enough starts in for the Rangers to adequately evaluate the goaltending situation going into the 2nd half. I would hope at this point that they go with the best of what they got now and evaluate it from there. That's not to say that MM shouldn't keep his eye's / ears open for a good deal. But to make a hasty deal wouldn't make sense to me at this point.
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:03 am

Sideliner, agreed. If Erie had a weak link last season it was goaltending. Richardson has looked good and McGonigle played well when healthy. Can either do that long term and stay healthy. December is a long time to wait and then Opi has to have time to return to full form. Another big decision for GM MM to make. So far his decisions and moves have been very good.
JEF

Postby Kemosabe on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:59 am

Medway Bear wrote:Tweet from the St Louis Blues

Blues goalie prospect Luke Opilka had successful hip surgery and will be sidelined until December. http://atnhl.com/2x140WW #stlblues

I am surprised that Brown hasn't picked this up yet.
# Rangers will Raise the Shield

Newest Ranger inspiration
Kemosabe

Postby Toadman on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Andrew Burns won't be back as an OA. Bye-bye crowded defense roster & excess OA problem.
Toadman

Postby BrantfordRanger on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:37 pm

If MM can just get Vukojevic signed now, this offseason would be about as close to ideal as you're going to get.

Opie getting injured is a crappy way to start a season but I do wonder if part of the reason that we haven't seen stellar numbers from Richardson is just a lack of playing time. If he gets consistent starts - or if McGonigle does, for that matter - it could substantially change things.
BrantfordRanger

Postby Overager on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Wow! Does this mean we have a chance of keeping Henderson as an overager ? If he can double his production we might get 12 goals out of him. I know. There are more ways to contribute other than scoring.However, the last game I watched I believe that the team that scored the most goals won the game. The team that won a fight.... won a fight. Is Burns concentrating on university hockey?
Overager

Postby Kemosabe on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Kemosabe wrote:I am surprised that Brown hasn't picked this up yet.

He is back on top of it now.
# Rangers will Raise the Shield

Newest Ranger inspiration
Kemosabe

Previous

Return to RangersRush Interactive