Training Camp 2017

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Training Camp 2017

Postby JEF on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Saw this morning's Blue White game

Team Blue:

Bunnaman - Hugg - Carter
Liska - Damiani - Yantsis
Peyton - Gordon - Patricia

Stanley - York
Gentles - Ladd
Masterson-Argento

Richardson
Hearne

Team White:

Garreffa - Meireles - Henderson
Seitz - Guest - McHugh
Petizian - Tresoor - Dickerson
Bolton - Trenton - Flack

Hall - Blaisdell
Vallati - Peterson
Spencer - Donovan

Pfeil
Hasley

Hall and Stanley have tremendous presence
Vallati is stronger and faster
Peterson looked good
Jack York impressed me. I hope he stays here.
Ladd kept things simple and I expect him to show more as he gets more comfortable.

I liked Petizian, reminds me of Duco
Hugg is a good one, fans will love him
Liska is skilled too and fun to watch
Tresoor and Desmond played well
Garreffa's speed is going to be hard to contain
Damiani as always works hard both ways
Guest and Yantsis looked good to me

Pretty decent attendance too. Lots of fan interest.
JEF

Re: Training Camp 2017

Postby Medway Bear on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Agree with pretty much everything you said.

Hate to have to pick this year's team. Going to be difficult getting the number of forwards and defence down and no one seems to want to play goal yet. Still time for someone to take ownership of the position.
Medway Bear

Postby Toadman on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 pm

I went to all the open TCamp sessions.

I didn’t see a strong regular season candidate among the goalies. I hope McGonigle’s rehab is going exceptionally well and MM is looking at options. We’re obligated to keep an opportunity open for Opilka if his status is progressing and I wish him well; you really have to feel for that kid.

Our top returning forwards seem strong and both Liska and Hugg will contribute to what appears to be a potent offense. Some flash and hustle from various rookies, invites and OA Hendo too. Generally very promising & we’ve signed the best rookies. We’ll surely ice 4 very strong lines.

Stanley was a great addition and Hall & Blaisdell look to be back in form. Valati and York are top six. Ladd needs time to find his way still but his skill is evident and he improved each day. Gentles, Peterson and maybe even Argento are the possible bubble guys to me with Peterson being the upside leader.

Andreas Karlsson will really help this team & I anticipate MM will make some bold moves.
Toadman

Postby memcup on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:52 pm

I attended the evening game. I liked what I saw from Argento. He was pretty solid defensively, I think he’ll stick around long enough to unpack his suitcase. Richardson looked good until Hugg muscled his way around him late in the game making me think he’s still not ready. One young Ladd isn’t quite ready and will need some coaching. His decision making questionable at times.
Of the goalies I liked Hasley the most. He played well and made one really nice tape to tape to Petizan in the neutral zone. He also played the puck well off the boards a few times. I hope they give him a start in Buffalo this weekend.
memcup

Postby Toadman on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Fourteen players released from Training Camp:

Goaltenders: Connor Hasley, Jacob Hearne

Defencemen: Domenico Argento, Shane Donovan, Jesse Masterson, Chase Spencer

Forwards: Reece Bolton, Kobe Desmond, Graham Dickerson, Holden Doggett, Tyler Flack, Ryan O’Hara, Brayden Patricia, Alexander Trenton

Source -> http://kitchenerrangers.com/article/kit ... ining-camp
Toadman

Postby JEF on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:55 pm

From The Rangers Website 14 cuts were made on Wednesday

Goaltenders: Connor Hasley, Jacob Hearne

Defencemen: Domenico Argento, Shane Donovan, Jesse Masterson, Chase Spencer

Forwards: Reece Bolton, Kobe Desmond, Graham Dickerson, Holden Doggett, Tyler Flack, Ryan O’Hara, Brayden Patricia, Alexander Trenton

Still in the mix are:

FORWARDS (17)

Bunnaman
Carter
Damiani
Garreffa
Gordon
Henderson
Hugg
Liska
Mascherin
McHugh
Meireles
Petizian
Peyton
Seitz
Tresoor
Yantsis

DEFENCE (8)

Blaisdell
Gentles
Hall
Ladd
Peterson
Stanley
Vallati
York

GOAL (4)

McGonigle
Opilka
Pfeil
Richardson

Still some tough choice for Mike McKenzie to make.
JEF

Postby memcup on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:35 pm

And that's why I'll never be a scout.....I really thought they'd keep Argento around for awhile. After the last 2 injury filled seasons having an extra D or 2 might be a good idea
memcup

Postby JEF on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:28 pm

We still have 8 D around. And maybe Christmas comes early and Vukojevic comes to play :-)
JEF

Postby BrantfordRanger on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 pm

A lot of tough choices there.

Right now, gotta figure that all of York, Peterson and Gentles are fighting over that last spot. Realistically, we're going to end up playing at least eight defensemen at some point this year owing to injuries and international tournaments.

It sounds like we're going to break camp with three goalies be interesting to see if Pfeil is ready for that.

Up front there's a lot of traffic. Too early in camp to make a lot of judgments about who's been good and who hasn't. It does look like Yantsis, Damiani and Meireles showed up ready to take another step though. Hugg and Liska also looking solid.
BrantfordRanger

Postby DrummondIsGod on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:45 am

BrantfordRanger wrote:A lot of tough choices there.

Right now, gotta figure that all of York, Peterson and Gentles are fighting over that last spot. Realistically, we're going to end up playing at least eight defensemen at some point this year owing to injuries and international tournaments.

I don't think York would have showed up if he had to fight for a spot. There has to have been some kind of a guarantee.
DrummondIsGod

Postby BrantfordRanger on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:29 pm

DrummondIsGod wrote:
BrantfordRanger wrote:A lot of tough choices there.

I don't think York would have showed up if he had to fight for a spot. There has to have been some kind of a guarantee.

I suspect you're right. But some years ago, a poster commented that sometimes billets or even players pay attention to forums like this one and I've always tried to police my language accordingly since we're talking about teenagers, after all.
BrantfordRanger

Return to RangersRush Interactive