New season about to start

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

New season about to start

Postby Kemosabe on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Well here it is Tues. and still no comments or predictions for the coming season. How about it gang!!!
# Rangers will Raise the Shield

Newest Ranger inspiration
Kemosabe

Re: New season about to start

Postby Medway Bear on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Kemosabe wrote:Well here it is Tues. and still no comments or predictions for the coming season. How about it gang!!!

Well since you asked :)

Before the exhibition season, I was hopeful that this would be a season where the Rangers could at least manage to finish above 3rd in the Division, but I am not so sure now. I know exhibition doesn't mean much, but I didn't see much in the one game I saw and the results didn't look impressive.

Still, if the defence can stay healthy they should be above average there. Up front they haven't had a full line up yet, missing the top two scorers from last year, but I have been disappointed no one has seemed to step up, but scoring by committee might work. Talking of stepping up someone needs to get between the pipes and not let anyone move them out.

So prediction In the Mid West behind Owen Sound, may be on a par with London (depending who comes back for them) and Guelph (their young talent has to come good at some point). So anywhere from 2nd to 4th, always hoping for 1st. In the conference anywhere from 3rd to 8th.
Last edited by Medway Bear on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Medway Bear

Postby Overager on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Hate to say it but the best I see us doing is third in our division behind Owen Sound and,of course, London. We simply don't attract top end talent.Our scouting system needs a major redo.When we bring back Henderson as an overage forward we know we are in trouble.
Overager

Postby DrummondIsGod on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 am

Overager wrote:HWe simply don't attract top end talent.Our scouting system needs a major redo.

Scouting system isn't the problem. They have drafted a lot of high end talent the last 4 years from the USA and Canada that haven't reported to Kitchener. I can list about 10 names that would help this team who aren't in Kitchener. So it is not the scouting, it is the recruitment and possibly the lack of development of some high draft picks who have reported.
DrummondIsGod

Postby Toadman on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:09 pm

DrummondIsGod wrote: ... I can list about 10 names that would help this team who aren't in Kitchener.

Please list those 10 that would help this team, I'm curious.

While not as adept as London perhaps, we do still draw NCAA committed players at a rate most teams envy. That's an increasingly difficult task too ... unless you're a big, elite talent on a trajectory to stick in the NHL as an 18 year old or academically borderline/disinterested why wouldn't you take a top-tier NCAA offer? It's good hockey, a great educational opportunity and all the fun you can handle plus you can always fall back on the O anyways if you can't hack school or you get drafted and your pro team lays out a fast-track plan to get you to the pros.
Toadman

Postby JEF on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 am

JEF

Postby Ranger_Fan_For_Life on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Is fan support on the decline? Full blue sections still open for the home opener.
We're not a hockey town...we're a Ranger town!!!
Ranger_Fan_For_Life

Postby DrummondIsGod on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Toadman wrote:
DrummondIsGod wrote: ... I can list about 10 names that would help this team who aren't in Kitchener.

Most of these names have been talked about numerous times but here we go:

Merrick Rippon - at least they got picks for him
Sammy Steele
Tyler Inamoto
Adam Scheel
Adam Fox
Jack Lafontaine
Griffin Luce
And of course Charlie McAvoy and Tom Novak - although they would be OA's this season
Mike Vukojevic - hopefully they get him a year from now

Drafting is not the problem.
DrummondIsGod

Postby Toadman on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:06 pm

DrummondIsGod wrote:
Toadman wrote:

Most of these names have been talked about numerous times but here we go:
Merrick Rippon - at least they got picks for him
Sammy Steele
Tyler Inamoto
Adam Scheel
Adam Fox
Jack Lafontaine
Griffin Luce
And of course Charlie McAvoy and Tom Novak - although they would be OA's this season
Mike Vukojevic - hopefully they get him a year from now
Drafting is not the problem.

Thanks DisG. I was definitely thinking Inamoto/LaFontaine/Fox/Steele/Vukojevic too but am not certain Scheel &/or Luce would displace current roster players and had let the 97’s scroll off my radar already.

I’d like to have seen LaFontaine here and, like you say, hopefully Vukojevic is still a maybe when the time arrives for him to go to college. I trade Rippon for 2+ 2nds all day, that was a big win. I’m cool with taking a flyer on elite USNTDP/NCAA committed guys like the 1997-98s listed with late picks but it’s always going to be a crapshoot, whether you’re the Rangers or Knights, unless they immediately can’t hack school or they’re offered a fast track to the pros with a brief stop in the O. Begs the question about drafting the best guy available or the best guy available who will report ... I'm sure Harvard's recruiting tour & offer was more impressive to Adam Fox than Murray's tedious phone calls, etc :lol:
Toadman

Postby Overager on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Drafting players and getting them to report are tied together.What is the point of drafting players that are high end talent and seeing them decline your organization.Not reporting has been a problem since DeBoer left!
Overager

Postby memcup on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Although I’m glad the season is finally starting I’m not overly excited. Unless someone has a real break out year I can’t see things being much different then last year. I’ve only seen Hugg and Liska a couple of times so hopefully they are going to impress us this year. I’m not as impressed with the 16 year olds as I have been in the past but I have been wrong about players before.
Cole Carter had a good preseason but I believe he was playing top line minutes which he probably won’t get during the regular seasons.
The last few years injuries have taken their toll on the Rangers so it’s hard to get excited when things can change in a heart beat.
I still think If the Rangers are to really compete they are going to need to trade for a top goalie. (please prove me wrong Richardson)
memcup

Postby Sideliner on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:25 pm

From Josh Brown's blog:

"he Rangers will rely on the usual suspects to score with 100-point man Adam Mascherin, Bunnaman and crafty Joseph Garreffa leading the charge. But they'll need some help.

McKee pointed to forwards Greg Meireles, Riley Damiani, Eric Guest, Nick McHugh and Dylan Seitz as players he'd like to see step up offensively."

So very accurate IMO. I might even throw in Carter's name. Not sure what the line combinations are yet, but if Mascherin, Bunnaman and Garreffa were to say, form the first line, this team won't go beyond 4th place in the conference IMO if there's not a 2nd line that can put pucks in the net regularly. I really feel that it is very important that Meireles has a great year, but the Rangers will need even more than that if they want to seriously contend.

For those wanting to emulate the London model, then trading for an elite player when you're not nipping at the heals of the top teams is something that they would not do.

Defense may (arguably) be the team's strongest attribute. Of course, an injury or two can quickly change all that.

Goaltending is a question mark in my mind. I won't boldly state that this is the team's weak position until I see things in mid-October. The first part of the season, although important, is seemingly an extension of the exhibition schedule IMO. The cream begins to rise to the top as the season wears on.
Sideliner

Return to RangersRush Interactive