Draft Picks

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Draft Picks

Postby JEF on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:39 am

It looks like the Jacob Tortora ship has sailed.

So those second round draft picks in 2020, 2021 and 2022 look like they'll remain.

I believe the conditions are if he would have played his first OHL game this season, our 2nd round pick in 2020 would go to Barrie. If He plays his first OHL game in 2017-18 or 2018-19 second round picks from 2021 and 2022 also go to Barrie.

Assuming those picks stay we have

2018 - 3 second round picks
2019 - 2 second round picks
2020 - 2 second round picks
2021 - 2 second round picks
2022 - 1 second round pick
2023 - 2 second round picks
2024 - 1 second round pick
2025 - 2 second round picks

We have an excellent supply of 3rd and 4th round picks too.

Between now and 2026 the only draft picks we are missing is a 6th, 13th, 14th and 15th in 2018.

Murray Hiebert started replenishing the empty draft pick supply after Spott left and Mike McKenzie has added nicely to it. We're currently one of the best stocked teams in the OHL for draft picks. That's a good amount of trade currency to spend wisely.
JEF

Re: Draft Picks

Postby Sideliner on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't think MH gets enough credit for all he's done in restocking the cupboard that the one before him emptied. He did't bat 1.000 with all of his transactions, but going forward this team is in a pretty good position now with its draft currency.
Sideliner

Postby Medway Bear on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 am

Sideliner wrote:I don't think MH gets enough credit for all he's done in restocking the cupboard that the one before him emptied. He did't bat 1.000 with all of his transactions, but going forward this team is in a pretty good position now with its draft currency.

Agreed, its good to have currency but it does depend on how good you are at spending it.

I think this years team could be considered the first MH team to play a complete season. The team last season still had a number ( 5 or 6?) of Spott drafted players at least early on, but I think this years is down to 2. All the rest were brought on board when MH was GM or in his current role. All the coaches were similarly brought in by him and I think MM.
Medway Bear

Postby Overager on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:37 pm

What was Hiebert's hockey background? As far as I know he was a scout! Scouts in the OHL are a dime a dozen. He was a high school teacher who scouted on the side.Was this a great choice to manage a major junior team? My guess would be no! What important contacts did he have? Did the Rangers progress significantly under Hiebert?
Overager

Postby JEF on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:08 pm

He was Peter DeBoer's scout in Plymouth. When DeBoer came he brought Murray with him.

Hiebert came in as GM after Spott emptied the draft cupboard and we had many graduating players leaving holes in the line up. He had a tough job to do.

From where he started to where he left off and MM took over draft picks were built up and players like Mascherin, Bunnaman, Damini and Vallati were part of the team.
JEF

Postby Sideliner on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Here's how Josh Brown sees things.....

"It's funny. In recent years all the Rangers wanted were draft picks and prospects. Now they have tons. This is what happens when teams get too many promising players. They all want - and deserve - ice time but there is only so much to go around."
Sideliner

Postby leeaf83 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Murray inherited a bare cupboard from Spott with very few assets in any facets; current players, prospects or high draft picks,

He may not have got much success in the playoffs but he left the seat he vacated better off than when he came. As far as his background, he was a scout for two teams which drafted very well.
leeaf83

Postby Overager on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:22 pm

leaf-Then maybe (just maybe) he would have been a better scout but not a manager. I do believe that when DeBoer came here from Plymouth he brought along Mike Sadler as Head Scout.He might have brought along Hiebert as a scout and nothing more.
Overager

Postby JEF on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 am

Interesting how some will look back and bash Murray for his work and compare him to DeBoer.

I loved the DeBoer era but not everything he did worked out and not every high draft pick was a winner. Here are his fist 3 picks while he was GM

2002: Evan McGrath, Carlo DiRienzo. Matt Auffrey
2003: Devereaux Heshmatpour, Chris Gravelding, Joe McCann
2004: Justin Azevedo, Jack Combs, Julien Machabee
2005: Michael Pelech, Yves Bastien, Dan Kelly
2006: Nazem Kadri, Mike Mascioli, Jamie Commerford

Murray's Picks

2014:Adam Mascherin, Connor Bunnaman, Sean Allen
2015: Greg Meireles, Elijah Roberts, Joseph Garreffa
2016: Giovanni Vallati, Riley Damiani, Merrick Rippon

Remember too that Spott emptied the draft cupboard in his final season. When Murray took over in July 2013 from 2014 to 2017 there were no 2nd round picks and only one 3rd round pick. There were also significant graduations and a not so great core of players. He was able to build up draft picks by trading players like Radek Faksa for two 2nd round picks, Brent Pederson for two 2nds and a 3rd, Justin Bailey for two 2nds and a 3rd, Mike Davies for a 2nd and 5th, Sean Allen for a 3rd and 10th, Jacob Casganette for a 3rd and 4th, Mason Kohn for a 2nd and 3rd. He also made the Bracco trade which while criticized at the time eventually brought us Logan Stanley.

So it really doesn't matter if Murray was "just a scout" before he got here. He did a good job building a draft pick cupboard back up and getting some good players in the draft too build around. Murray did a lot of the clean up to put the Rangers back on track.
JEF

Postby Sideliner on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 pm

JEF wrote:Interesting how some will look back and bash Murray for his work and compare him to DeBoer.

I loved the DeBoer era but not everything he did worked out and not every high draft pick was a winner. Here are his fist 3 picks while he was GM

Murray's Picks

Remember too that Spott emptied the draft cupboard in his final season. When Murray took over in July 2013 from 2014 to 2017 there were no 2nd round picks and only one 3rd round pick. There were also significant graduations and a not so great core of players. He was able to build up draft picks by trading players like Radek Faksa for two 2nd round picks, Brent Pederson for two 2nds and a 3rd, Justin Bailey for two 2nds and a 3rd, Mike Davies for a 2nd and 5th, Sean Allen for a 3rd and 10th, Jacob Casganette for a 3rd and 4th, Mason Kohn for a 2nd and 3rd. He also made the Bracco trade which while criticized at the time eventually brought us Logan Stanley.

So it really doesn't matter if Murray was "just a scout" before he got here. He did a good job building a draft pick cupboard back up and getting some good players in the draft too build around. Murray did a lot of the clean up to put the Rangers back on track.

Those were some great years when DeBoer and Spott were behind the bench. Unfortunately the drafting was at best, average during that time frame....and like any "responsible" government would do to stay elected, they borrowed from the future. That 2003 draft was terrible by the way. - at least the first three picks were. Mind you they were able to partially make up for the less than stellar drafting by getting some Americans to report over the course of their time here.

I think you're right JEF. The 2014-2016 drafts were generally better. I'm still not so sure about this year's draft though. We'll see.
Sideliner

Postby LoneRanger on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Sideliner wrote:
JEF wrote:Interesting how some will look back and bash Murray for his work and compare him to DeBoer.

Murray's Picks

Those were some great years when DeBoer and Spott were behind the bench. Unfortunately the drafting was at best, average during that time frame....and like any "responsible" government would do to stay elected, they borrowed from the future. That 2003 draft was terrible by the way. - at least the first three picks were. Mind you they were able to partially make up for the less than stellar drafting by getting some Americans to report over the course of their time here.

I think you're right JEF. The 2014-2016 drafts were generally better. I'm still not so sure about this year's draft though. We'll see.

When Murray was hired as GM i said it was a good choice and looking back now i think he did do a very good job.

As far as MM drafting...this was the first Ranger draft in several years that had me shaking my head...i'm still baffled at taking Ladd in the first round and a few other rounds left me puzzled at their choices...we'll see in a couple years the full end results of the 2017 draft...hopefully i'm wrong,i've been wrong before : )
LoneRanger

Return to RangersRush Interactive