Matthew Barnaby Out

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Matthew Barnaby Out

Postby Toadman on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Kitchener Rangers part ways with assistant coach Matthew Barnaby

The Kitchener Rangers announced on Tuesday they have parted ways with assistant coach Matthew Barnaby.

The Rangers wish Matthew nothing but success in his future endeavours.

Source -> http://kitchenerrangers.com/article/kit ... ew-barnaby
Toadman

Re: Matthew Barnaby Out

Postby rgrs7 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:49 pm

One has to think there's a story to be told here. The question is, who can tell it?!
rgrs7

Postby JEF on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:21 am

I'm not so concerned about what the story is. It comes down to the GM wanting more out of his coaching staff. Mike McKenzie has a clear idea of the kind of team he wants the Rangers to be. Many posters have commented on a lack of development with our players. Mike has obviously decided that he wants some changes in that area. Jason Fortier was replaced by Andreas Karlsson. Now Matthew Barnaby is being replaced. There is a pretty talented core of players here that need to grow and develop in order for the Rangers to play at a high compete level. I think Mike wants more development and this is why this move was made. He wants better results and he believes this move will help that happen.

Matthew is a popular guy. I'm sure the players liked him. To start and have your first coaching job be in the OHL isn't easy. It's not a starter league. You need to be experienced and capable. My guess is that with some more experience at a lower level Barnaby would grow into a role as a good coach. He probably wasn't ready for a role with the Rangers especially in a season with so much on the line. It's early enough in the season to make a change like this and have a more experienced defence coach come in. I think the best person to have coaching defence is someone with good defensive experience. While Matthew had many good qualities, he didn't have that.

Mike McKenzie has shown he is his own man. He's made good trades for good returns with Roberts and Rippon. He brought in Logan Stanley. Made a deal with Barrie so Anthony Dumont Bouchard could play here. He wants the Rangers to be an elite team. He's making moves to make that happen. I understand that some will comment that the coaching has not been stable for a few years. I would rather have a strong coaching staff brought about by making changes than to have a stable coaching staff that isn't as strong as it could be.

Matthew Barnaby will coach again, this is just a bump in the road for him that one day he looks back on as a positive thing.

The Rangers are headed in the right direction. Good recent drafting, a healthy supply of draft picks and a clear desire by the GM and organization to return to elite status in the OHL.
JEF

Postby EchoThree on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 am

McKenzie cites "philosophical differences":

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/ ... h-barnaby/
EchoThree

Postby LoneRanger on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Strength and conditioning coach Brandon Merli will step behind the bench in place of Barnaby
LoneRanger

Postby Overager on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 pm

I know that Merli played for the Rangers but what experience does he have coaching at this level ? Watching tonight's game ( particularly in the third period)I was left wondering which team was rebuilding .I do know that it is early in the season but our two European players don't look any better than some players we dropped after training camp.
Overager

Postby pokey on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:11 pm

geez.....you are the most positive person in the world OA. What is our record so far this season?
pokey

Postby JEF on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:12 am

OMG Brandon Merli is TEMPORARY! He's the strength and conditioning coach just stepping in until a new coach is named.

Overager you just never miss a chance to diss the Rangers. You're really stretching for criticism now. If you can't see the potential in Hugg and Liska well too bad.

At least your posts are entertaining.
JEF

Postby Overager on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:20 am

Pokey-This is my observation. Before making a post should I first check with you? Were yo impressed with the Ranger play last night? Do you know something about Merli's hockey background that the rest of Ranger fans don't know or could it be that you just want to read positive posts.
Overager

Postby Overager on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:34 am

JEF-Where did you read that Brandon Merli was only a temporary appointment? I didn't read that in the announcement.I do hope that your hockey knowledge allows you to see more in Hugg and Liska than I have seen so far.I believe that we were outshot two or three to one in the third period and definitely outplayed by a wide margin. I was glad to get the victory but I can't overstate the Ranger play thus far simply to sound positive.We have been led to believe that the Rangers will be very competitive this year and I really believe that, based on what I have seen thus far, we will require some high end trades by giving up draft picks and/or young players.
Overager

Postby JEF on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:38 am

It was reported on 570 News and by Josh Brown that Brandon Merli is filling in until Mike McKenzie names a replacement for Barnaby.

I don't think anyone here including myself thinks the Rangers don't need to make trades to improve the team. It's pretty obvious from the stockpile of draft picks that the plan is to improve this team through some trades. The only questions are when, for who and how much it takes in return.

This team as it is, is already better than last year's team and will only get better through trades.
JEF

Postby Overager on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:47 am

JEF- Yes, they reported it today. However, I made this post last night and didn't have the benefit of looking into the future.
Overager

Postby JEF on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Josh Brown's Twitter last night BEFORE the game:

Josh Brown‏Verified account @BrownRecord 19h19 hours ago

Rangers strength and conditioning coach Brandon Merli will join bench for time being in place of recently fired assistant Matthew Barnaby.
JEF

Return to RangersRush Interactive