Seitz gone to Moncton Wildcats

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Seitz gone to Moncton Wildcats

Postby EchoThree on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Per Dylan's twitter account (@seitzdylan_99) he is gone to the Moncton Wildcats of the Q. I assume he was released by the Rangers since they can't trade with other leagues...

Rangers have a glut of decent forwards so this is not too surprising.
EchoThree

Re: Seitz gone to Moncton Wildcats

Postby Eagle Vision on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:55 pm

How on earth do you go from the Rangers top Line at around this time last year as a 17-year-old, to waved through the entire league this year?? i'd assume that this relates to things both on and off of the ice.

Depressing. We needed that grit, annoying presence and size.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision

Postby JEF on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:00 pm

Dylan was a 15th round draft pick in 2015. He has some size but I didn't see him as an impact player when it came to hitting. I don't recall him being on the top line.

I see this as clearing some roster space for some coming trades. He was obviously offered for trade then waived through the league. At least he'll get a chance to play in the Q.
JEF

Postby EchoThree on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Getting injured in the preseason probably didn't help his trade value. Pretty surprised that no other OHL team would take him, but glad he has a chance to play (and on a team where he won't come back to haunt us unless we make the Memorial Cup!!)
EchoThree

Postby Eagle Vision on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:36 am

JEF wrote:Dylan was a 15th round draft pick in 2015. He has some size but I didn't see him as an impact player when it came to hitting. I don't recall him being on the top line.

I see this as clearing some roster space for some coming trades. He was obviously offered for trade then waived through the league. At least he'll get a chance to play in the Q.

Apparently Kohn was annoyed when bumped off of the top unit for Seitz last season and he got a number of games with Mascherin and Bracco early in the season (maybe end of October) that's where all of his scoring came from.

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/ ... tta-seitz/

I remember at that point thinking this kid is oozing with potential.

I'm pretty sure that his status as a 15th rounder is misleading I'm pretty sure that he was a gamble pick that wasn't really supposed to show up, etc. We made a big enough deal about signing him.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision

Postby Toadman on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:08 pm

He caught my eye at times last year too then went mostly unremarkable thereafter. Eclipsed by younger guys, 2017 imports and a similar Yantsis. Just no room for extras.

Surprised he waived through the O but I'm sure he wasn't scouted and only a few of us saw the good bits.

Maybe he'll still surprise, I wish him well.
Toadman

Postby memcup on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 pm

EV you are correct. Then came that game on Nov. 5 in Erie, Rangers were outplaying the Otters and were up 3-1 going into the second intermission. Erie scored 6 straight in the third and absolutely dominated. After the game it was mentioned that something (that would not be further discussed) occurred in the room during that intermission.
Dylan never played top line minutes again.
Oddly enough that was the same weekend Frank returned and put on the C

I liked Dylan's style of play and expect him to do well down east
memcup

Postby Taychuck on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm

If the insinuation is correct that Seitz cause the trouble in Erie, then he would have been gone long ago. I (and others) don't buy that line for one minute.
Taychuck

Postby Overager on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:15 pm

This isn't the first time and it won't be the last where a junior team gave up on a player too early. I believe that our Rangers put Mike Hoffman on waivers and I don't think he was picked up by another team in the OHL. Mike went to the Quebec Junior League where he turned out to be a standout. Our coaches and management obviously didn't see the potential.I am not implying that Dylan will turn out to be another Mike Hoffman.
Overager

Postby Toadman on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm

There's quite a few former OHL players & prospects on the Moncton Wildcats roster*, including Ranger prospect Jack Tucker who signed there a couple months ago.

* http://moncton-wildcats.com/roster/1/187
Toadman

Postby JEF on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:26 am

OA, Peter DeBoer was the one who let Mike Hoffman go. Take a look at the team in 2006-07.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0008122007.html

The talent level was very deep and there really wasn't room for him. No other OHL team wanted to trade for him or pick him up on waivers. I don't think it was a case of the Rangers not seeing his potential, there wasn't room on the roster. It was DeBoer's connection to Benoit Groulx that saw Mike land with Gatineau. Here's a story on that:

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2009/05/16/ontarians-make-mark-in-quebec-league

Julien Machabee the Rangers 4th pick in the 2004 draft was also on that Gatineau team. Claude Giroux was also on that team. Giroux was not taken in the OHL draft. All the OHL GMs missed out on him.

Gatineau did not win a game in the round robin portion of the tournament.
JEF

Postby Eagle Vision on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:50 pm

When the Rangers traded Jack Combs for Jean-Michel Rizk, I can remember stating explicitly on this forum that we just traded a potential 40-goal scorer who wasn't the best skater ever.

I didn't see potential in Hoffman to do anything exciting.

Good coach, great coach or regardless of coach. I don't see Hoffman achieving much in Kitchener, and in the case of Combs, he NEVER would have had a 30-goal season in Kitchener.

I'm just happy to see players move along if the opportunity isn't right here.

With Seitz. I still see a guy with decent NHL potential. It wouldn't shock me in the least to see him do well in the pros. The forward section of our roster is a little cluttered, but unlike Combs and Hoffman before him, I think that there was room for Seitz in Kitchener. I'm disappointed. He brought an element that this team needs.

Eagle Vision

Postby JEF on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Excellent points EV. I see a lot of potential with Seitz too, but it wouldn't happen here at this time.

We'll likely see some of our 99s be traded along with draft picks in order to get an impact player or 2.
JEF

Postby Overager on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 pm

I believe the Rangers need more than an impact player or two. We simply have too many so so players. I see them coming home from this road trip with no more than two points.
Overager

Postby Deener on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Eagle Vision wrote:With Seitz. I still see a guy with decent NHL potential. It wouldn't shock me in the least to see him do well in the pros. The forward section of our roster is a little cluttered, but unlike Combs and Hoffman before him, I think that there was room for Seitz in Kitchener. I'm disappointed. He brought an element that this team needs.

There certainly is room- I'd have him above Carter, Yantsis and McHugh.

Carter is a small forward who is neither speedy, physical or able to consistently put the puck in the net. Yantsis is an almost perfect comparable for Seitz, except slower, and less physical. McHugh is the type of guy that every team needs- 4th line energy guy that can be a first line penalty killer. Unfortunately, on a team that has Henderson, Garreffa, Bunner, and Mereiles he is redundant.

Maybe the team thought Seitz has more potential and did him the favour of letting him move on? Only thing I can think of when the three above were kept instead of him.

On another note- Carter and Yantsis have to start putting up points consistently or be moved to the press box. I'd rather see some of our young guys with potential play (Guest, Peyton) than watching these two consistent y be invisible.
Deener

Next

Return to RangersRush Interactive