Thanksgiving Weekend

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Re: Thanksgiving Weekend

Postby Sideliner on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:21 am

McKee said they worked on the PP and I think it did show. In fact they did manage to score during one of their chances. They didn't cash in on them all but the puck movement seemed to be much better IMO.
Sideliner

Postby JEF on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:59 am

Overall I'd give the Rangers a 7/10 for the win over Owen Sound. The first period was okay, the 2nd was sloppy and the third was their best period of hockey so far this season. That was the way I expected them to play this season. I hope this is them hitting their stride and finally clicking. Memcup nailed it, they didn't sit back and protect the lead, they kept coming at the Attack. Owen Sound is relentless and out hustling them is a feat. The Rangers did that in the 3rd.

1 for 5 on the powerplay. That has to change. The Attack took two early penalties. Score on one of those and there's a chance the tone for the game gets set early. Josh Brown mentioned how Bracco is missed as a playmaker on the PP and it's true. We are missing that playmaking element and I'd guess that is one of the things our GM will address in a trade.

Glad to hear ADB will be the #1 goalie. What a great move by Mike to arrange a deal with Barrie to have him come here.

Mascherin was becoming more involved and that's a good thing. He's a goal scorer but he's been avoiding contact until this game. He must be gaining more confidence that his shoulder can take some hits and bumps. I expect to see him play a prominent role and I think that is coming soon.

Riley Damiani's work ethic is incredible. I'd have picked him for a star in this game. Love the effort from Meireles and McHugh too.

Big 3 in 3 away games weekend coming. The Soo will be a huge test on Friday night. Saginaw Saturday night with Troy Smith behind their bench will be tough to play against. Flint who have been playing well and beat us in our home opener will be a challenge on Sunday.

I wonder if splitting up Stanley and Hall would be a good thing. They do make an incredible pairing but that's a lot of grit and size together. We have 2 healthy D scratches every game and our #1 pick Ladd needs to play.

I do like this team, but to pull ahead of teams like Owen Sound and the Soo we need more goal scoring, speed and skill. We've got the currency in draft picks and good younger players to trade to go out an get that. LR has said trades are coming. I hope they are substantial and get us impact players like Raddysh from Erie.

Oh and while I don't always agree with Overager's opinion, OA is right about London. There is no way they will remain in the basement. They'll do some moves, additions or changes to move back up to the upper level of the division.
JEF

Postby Kemosabe on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am

I certainly didn't expect a W after the first period that was the worst passing display I have seen in quite some time!!
# Rangers will Raise the Shield

Newest Ranger inspiration
Kemosabe

Postby Eagle Vision on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Sideliner wrote:McKee said they worked on the PP and I think it did show. In fact they did manage to score during one of their chances. They didn't cash in on them all but the puck movement seemed to be much better IMO.

I'm not convinced entirely on our PP. They're gaining the zone through dump and chase which is better than the previous not being able to cross the blueline without losing the puck, but still it's not a very high percentage way of entering the zone with possession. I also noticed that they're consistently delivering the puck to the same area. I'd love to see some hard wraps on the weak side that go behind the net to the strong side just to shake things up a little on the dump 'n chase, if they are going to do that.

He's usually pretty good, but on Monday Henderson was amazingly effective on the PK, especially the key one late in the third!!

I've been pretty pumped about Anthony Dumont-Bouchard since his first game with the team. He's really got some good fight to him, also vacuums up so many prospective rebounds.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision

Postby Toadman on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:14 pm

OA: I believe your key word is"at the moment."If you think that the London Knights are going to remain in the basement then you haven't been following this league the past 8 to 10 years.

100% - my words were chosen carefully & I'm very familiar with the Knights :mrgreen: Kuokkanen, Juolevi & Parsons are big missing pieces that could carry the team on an off night and I'm sure Dale & Co will sort things out and maybe pull a few bunnies out of a hat yet. They're way off last year's level in the games I've seen though.

OA: Our power play has not been effective. Are you impressed with it?

Not impressed at all, though I was somewhat encouraged at the OS game to not see that drop pass and run into the wall stuff that we've done for ages. We need to add a top centre or right wing playmaker to gain significant ground on the PP. I think Taylor Raddysh would be the guy to spark the PP this season.
Toadman

Postby Sideliner on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:19 pm

On London -

Yes this team will move up in the standings when Mete gets back. Although the London sportswriter (name escapes me) preseason prediction of 3rd in the conference looks like a stretch at this point.

On Henderson -

A good surprise so far. Not flashy, but proving effective. His size doesn't hurt this team either.

ADB -

I felt bad seeing him let in those 3 quick goals during preseason vs Niagara. Not that I was necessarily concerned at the time because it was an X-game, but I never thought he would bounce back like he did.

Bunnaman -

Still too early to write him off considering he was sick but I'd like to see him with Garreffa and Mascherin....at least for one game to see if that combo works.
Sideliner

Postby Sideliner on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Overager wrote:Sideliner- It is refreshing to see someone (other than myself) pointing out the flaws that are apparent in this so called "contending team" without been accused of "being negative." The Ranger team's overall play up to this point doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and without some high level additions and /or major improvement in the play of a number of our players we are again looking at a middle of the pack finish and a fast exit.Our power play is totally ineffective and maybe we have to find out what London does year after year with their power play.

In all honesty Overager I don't like to come across as terribly negative. These are just some flaws that I see now and hope that the team will prove me wrong. If any poster disagrees with my views I have no problem with it. Fans see things from different angles and I like reading the views of others.....and my opinion can easily change as a result. That's what makes this board what it is and why I'm still posting along with likes of EV, Lone Ranger, Taychuk, etc. who have also been expressing their views for the past (I believe) 19 years.
Sideliner

Previous

Return to RangersRush Interactive