Thanksgiving Weekend

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Thanksgiving Weekend

Postby Medway Bear on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm

I thought a good performance on Friday except for 4 minutes in the 3rd, then the team got lost on highways 7 and half the team didn't turn up until the second period. I hate to blames Richardson for the lost, he was hung out to dry in the first, but when you needed him to shut the door, you got that 3rd Guelph goal. I don't know if ADB could have done better, but when you have one goalie 4-0 and the other 0-3, you worry. I really want Richardson to get his first win, because then hopefully he will go on from there, the Rangers need a goalie who can run with it next year.
Medway Bear

Re: Thanksgiving Weekend

Postby wrister on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 pm

That Achilles heel keeps rearing it's ugly head with the Rangers with them allowing a goal in the first 15 seconds of the game. Why aren't they ready? It is a bad habit that can't seem to get corrected.
wrister

Postby Sideliner on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:37 pm

IMO this team has the talent up front to score goals but it's just not happening often enough to be classified a contender. The results on the PP, or lack of it, makes this painfully evident. It's now getting to be mid-October. Line combinations, systems, etc. should pretty much be set. If they can get the offence going I think they will be on their way.
Sideliner

Postby Overager on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Sideliner- I hope you're correct in saying that "they have the talent to score goals."Of that I'm not sure. I am afraid that they have too many "fringe" players or players like Magyar who rose early to a level and never went beyond that.If what we are seeing at this time is an indication of their overall ability then THEY ARE NOT CONTENDERS.
Overager

Postby Medway Bear on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:13 pm

One thing from Friday, that I meant to mention was when the Rangers were coming out at the start of the game, ADB was leading the team, he stopped and ran back into I assume the room. All the players stood around waiting for him to return. Shortly afterwards he returned to lead the team out, but he was now wearing his mask. Strange what you forget!!
Medway Bear

Postby LoneRanger on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Overager wrote:Sideliner- I hope you're correct in saying that "they have the talent to score goals."Of that I'm not sure. I am afraid that they have too many "fringe" players or players like Magyar who rose early to a level and never went beyond that.If what we are seeing at this time is an indication of their overall ability then THEY ARE NOT CONTENDERS.

This is a good team but i don't see them as a top contender...yet

This team needs to add 2 scoring forwards and another vet forward with size,grit,solid defensively and a strong leader

This organization feels the heat and they have taken a totally different attitude...trades will be made...it's going to be a very interesting season
LoneRanger

Postby memcup on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:30 am

I would love to see Maksimovich or Raddysh as a Ranger. I know others have said Lodnia because of his age but if the Ranger brass are truly serious about this year either of the other 2 would be better. I think Maksimovich would cost a little less. Unfortunately for the Rangers if I'm the Otters I don't see anyone (except maybe York) that I would want in addition to picks. Therefore it's likely going to cost lots of picks instead of picks and a player
memcup

Postby Sideliner on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 am

Overager wrote:Sideliner- I hope you're correct in saying that "they have the talent to score goals."Of that I'm not sure. I am afraid that they have too many "fringe" players or players like Magyar who rose early to a level and never went beyond that.If what we are seeing at this time is an indication of their overall ability then THEY ARE NOT CONTENDERS.

You could be right Overager. If the team as a whole doesn't start putting the pucks in you may have me convinced. I was hoping that at least Miereles, and maybe another player or two would have break-out years. This would be vitally important if the have any hope of being at (near?) the top. Any contributions from our imports would go a long way too. Liska has a couple of goals, and although Hugg works his tail off, has yet to bury any of his many chances.

As LR has mentioned, this team would need a couple more pieces to the puzzle if they have any chance at any OHL title. I would prefer to see them wait and see how they stack up against other teams first to determine if it's worthwhile. I know this team loses Mascherin next year, but it would be foolish to be in the middle of the pack and part with those high picks that have been stockpiled the last number of years - all because this team "hasn't contended for so long". Perhaps some teams would do this. A team with smart management (London) would not.

.....and I think memcup is right. This team really doesn't have that high prospect to give up unless Ladd takes a giant leap forward in developing. Also, not much you can do with a 2nd rounder who didn't report. With the benefit of hindsight it would have been smarter to have picked someone who wasn't labelled as having "lots of upside" and gambling on a guy you hope will show up at training camp......but you can't go back in time, so the Rangers would have to assume that their 5th rounder is promising enough in becoming the "carrot that is dangled"......assuming they are contenders that is.
Sideliner

Postby LetsGoRangers on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:07 am

This is great thread. Perhaps we'll have more intel on our team after today's game. It'll be a big game. OS is just 1 point behind the Rangers and have played 2 less games. For both teams, there should be no lack of motivation.

Go Rangers!
LetsGoRangers

Postby Sideliner on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Vs. Owen Sound

ADB.....what can you say....he was solid. Goaltending was arguably the difference in the Ranger win.

My question is, where in the standings would this team be thus far without ADB and Logan Stanley? I guess you could say that it is good to see depth in the scoring.
Sideliner

Postby Overager on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Sideliner- It is refreshing to see someone (other than myself) pointing out the flaws that are apparent in this so called "contending team" without been accused of "being negative." The Ranger team's overall play up to this point doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and without some high level additions and /or major improvement in the play of a number of our players we are again looking at a middle of the pack finish and a fast exit.Our power play is totally ineffective and maybe we have to find out what London does year after year with their power play.
Overager

Postby Medway Bear on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Loved the new powerplay today. Only put 4 players out there and they score!! Really confused Owen Sound. They must have been looking for that mysterious 5th player!!
Medway Bear

Postby Toadman on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:12 pm

OA: ...overall play up to this point doesn't inspire a lot of confidence

OA ... geez it's still early & are the Rangers not sitting a mere point out of first overall in the standings having just beat OS, the runaway favourite to win the OHL this year? Your favourite 'whipping boy' Henderson is even playing pretty well thus far :roll:

OA: Our power play is totally ineffective and maybe we have to find out what London does year after year with their power play.

Even the Rangers' PP is more effective than the Knights' PP at the moment and are the Knights not struggling along at the rock bottom of the whole league? I'm sure they'll improve but best laud someone else's PP and other achievements at this point in time :roll:
Toadman

Postby Overager on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 pm

Toadman- I believe your key word is"at the moment."If you think that the London Knights are going to remain in the basement then you haven't been following this league the past 8 to 10 years.Our power play has not been effective. Are you impressed with it? I might be wrong but I suspect that on our first two power plays we had a total of one shot.
Overager

Postby memcup on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:06 am

Good game today. One positive thing was the team didn't attempt to protect the lead once they went up 2-1. They remained aggressive on the forecheck instead of backing off and assuming a defensive position. Too often (Friday night was a good example) they send one player in and then back up into their own zone. This usually results in goals being scored against them. Hopefully it wasn't a one time thing.
I also noticed what seemed to be a real attempt to line match which I don't believe was going on previously. In at least 2 earlier games the 3rd defensive pairing was put on the ice right after the Rangers scored. Considering the opposition responds with their top line after giving up a goal, the 3rd pairing decision made no sense.

With 3 road games coming up line matching will be more difficult. Which leads me to ask why not break up that 3rd pairing occasionally to give the boys a little more ice time and reduce the risks.
memcup

Next

Return to RangersRush Interactive