Vs Peterborough (3 win weekend)

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Vs Peterborough (3 win weekend)

Postby EchoThree on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

I can't remember a stretch in the past 5 years where the Rangers were able to play consistent line combinations like this without injuries getting in the way. It is really working well right now. The forecheck in this game was dominant, especially in the second where Peterborough was hemmed in their zone for most of the period. To do that at the end of a 3-in-3 is a testament to the even time being given to all 4 lines.

An excellent weekend result. Next weekend will be tough with a 3-in-4 northern swing. Hope the boys can keep the mojo going up north!
EchoThree

Re: Vs Peterborough (3 win weekend)

Postby Number65 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Simply dominant. There were several shifts during which we managed a full line change while we had the Petes pinned in their zone and maintained possession for the entire time.

Liska is starting to remind me of another 14, Derek Roy. The backcheck that led to the game winner was magnificent.

The only question is, how do Eric Guest and Grayson Ladd get back in the lineup with everyone playing so well? Once healthy, they might have to wait until we lose Stanley, Mascerin, Liska and Hugg to the World Juniors.
Number65

Postby Overager on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Simply dominant and the Pete's goalie "stood on his head." You could say that we deserved better results during that period but sometimes the hockey gods decide otherwise. Did anyone else feel that Sherwood appeared "listless" as if he was nursing an injury or wasn't feeling well.
Overager

Postby memcup on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:31 pm

I really like the hustle of the 3rd and 4th line. Meireles and McHugh are playing hard on the puck and making things happen for their line mates.
I thought Stanley showed signs of fatigue tonight but considering the ice time he's logged lately it's to be expected.
I'm impressed with the way Richardson has controlled rebounds lately.
Last edited by memcup on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
memcup

Postby EchoThree on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Overager wrote:Did anyone else feel that Sherwood appeared "listless" as if he was nursing an injury or wasn't feeling well.

I felt like 92 and 23 looked a tad tired. Probably just from playing so many high-intensity minutes over the last two weeks. The rest of the team really picked up the slack in a big way.

Also Hugg had a couple of (cue Don Cameron voice) glorious opportunities but still couldn't pot his first goal. I have a feeling once he gets one, it will snowball from there for him.
EchoThree

Postby Taychuck on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:00 am

I'm not sure why Stanley should be that tired...he missed at least 19 minutes of yesterday's game in Barrie. While he does log a lot of minutes is he different than Hall, who is also physical?
Taychuck

Postby JEF on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:24 am

Tremendous effort, especially in the 2nd where the forechecking and passing were sensational. The Damiani goal was timing and hand eye coordination at it's best. What a fantastic tip in. Dylan Wells was the difference for the Petes without him the Rangers could have had about 3 more goals in the 2nd. Luke Richardson played well again in net for us. Remembering how well Dumont-Bouchard was playing and seeing strong games from McGonigle and Richardson in his absence tells me were going to be fine in goal.

Getting good contributions from all 4 lines. Mascherin (23 points in 23 games) and Sherwood (14 points in 12 games) went pointless in this game, but the other lines were on their game. Henderson was a workhorse and got 3 assists so he has 15 points in 23 games. The hustle of Meireles and McHugh is great to watch. The D have looked good, the twin towers of Hall and Stanley are tough to play against. Vallati is solid. York and Gentles keep it simple and smart. Joey G is always a threat to do something offensively creative from the back end. The Bunnaman, Damiani, Henderson line are always hustling and will be in front of the net to either screen the goalie or bang in a rebound. Yantsis, Carter and Petizian are always working hard

Liska scored in all 3 games this weekend and is becoming a reliable contributor. I agree that Hugg will soon score that first goal and more will flow after that. His 13 assists show he's a good playmaker. Schiemenz had 9 points in 49 games last year. Liska has 11 in 23 and Hugg has 13 in 22. Upgrades and contributors for sure.

The team has found a groove, they are working hard and are getting results. I'll admit to being wrong when I knee-jerk reacted and questioned the coaching after the 3 in a row losses to London, Oshawa and Owen Sound. I would still like to see some upgrades through trades, but also want to see what players like Peyton, Guest, Peterson and Ladd can do. The current line up has played very well so it will be hard to sit someone to play them.

A challenging set of games coming up on the road in North Bay, The Soo and Sudbury, then Owen Sound at home December 1. I'll savour this 3 win weekend and the 9 wins in the last 10 games with 19 out of 20 possible points.
JEF

Postby EchoThree on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:56 am

Taychuck wrote:I'm not sure why Stanley should be that tired...he missed at least 19 minutes of yesterday's game in Barrie. While he does log a lot of minutes is he different than Hall, who is also physical?

Stanley is on the second PP unit so he is on the ice more than Hall, to some extent. Also, he played an extra game (with travel) for the CHL/Russia game. I know that was more than a week ago but the games really piled up for the Rangers after that point.
EchoThree

Postby Taychuck on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

Good points Echo, forgot about the Russia stuff as I didn't watch more than a few minutes of any of it.

I was annoyed with what I thought was a pretty iffy 17 minutes for aggressor in the first place, especially with a guy that should be able to handle himself in Bunnaman. While Stanley controlled the "fight", I wished he'd pounded the crap out of the guy to make the 17 worthwhile. Oops, did I just say that????
Taychuck

Return to RangersRush Interactive