At the halfway point

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

At the halfway point

Postby Number65 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:17 pm

To my mind, the team is currently in the top tier of the league, but at the bottom of that tier (with Barrie and Hamilton). SSM and Sarnia are far and away the best teams in the league. It's hard to know how we stack up against Sarnia because we haven't played them yet.

I like our compete level. I like our young talent (Ladd had a solid game this afternoon).

I like our four lines, but I think we need to add a Brazeau, Raddysh or a Tippett to our arsenal if we want to compete.

We have some good defenders, but none that are true gamebreakers offensively (with the exception of Gareffa). I'd like to see someone with a Murphy like shot from the point to make our Power Play less predictable.

Our goaltending is bit of an enigma. Richardson looked good this weekend, but has been awful at other times this season. McGonnigle had a great game in Barrie but has played like a Junior B goalie every other time he's played. ADB had an impressive start, but there is a real question of whether he can stay healthy (sidenote: Brown is now calling the "upper body injury" a concussion). If we can't pry Depietro away from Windsor, Cormier might be a good addition.

If we're going to go for it, we have the picks to do it. The question is who besides North Bay, Sudbury, Erie, Flint and Mississauga is going to be a seller. London???
Number65

Re: At the halfway point

Postby memcup on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 pm

I've got a bad feeling Owen Sound will turn into sellers and London will be buyers. If they get Mete back, (they will) and Gadjovich and Szpula they could easily go to the division finals or further.
So McKenzie better get busy.
memcup

Postby Overager on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:23 am

Number65- I don't agree with your assessment but ,at least,you have an opinion." You like our young players." Of the 7 Rangers born in 2000 and 2001 they have a total of 20 goals and 11 of those are from Damiani . Not exactly a "goal scoring machine." I realize that this includes dmen who usually don't contribute many goals. My concern lies with the make-up of the team. We are in a similar position as we were a few years ago when we were behind the top teams but not a real contender. Rather that sell our assets and get some up and coming talent we elected to stand pat and were swept in the playoffs by (I believe) London. Then, into another rebuild with little talent returning.We need more than one top notch addition to compete with the present top teams. Three players (Mash, Bunn,Sherwood) do the bulk of our scoring and ,even then, they contribute only about 50 goals.The Soo have four players with 27,18,17,and 17 markers and this doesn't include their week-end games. We have 7 players going into their overage year including Hall,Stanley,Mascherin,Carter,Bummaman . How many of those will be back? A bleak future from what I see.When one looks at last night's Kingston line-up I see that they carry only 3 players who go overage next year. That means that they could return their complete line-up minus their present 3 overagers and everyone loses their present overagers.Conclusion- We are presently NOT a contending team. We will lose the bulk of our present team. Our young players certainly don't stand out. We are back where we were a few years ago with a bad drafting record hanging over our heads, meaning we don't have a bright future.I hope I'm wrong but that's what I get from looking at our stats.Also, don't forget that the teams presently ahead of us will probably add some top end players prior to the trading deadline.
Overager

Postby LoneRanger on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Number65 wrote:To my mind, the team is currently in the top tier of the league, but at the bottom of that tier (with Barrie and Hamilton). SSM and Sarnia are far and away the best teams in the league. It's hard to know how we stack up against Sarnia because we haven't played them yet.

I like our compete level. I like our young talent (Ladd had a solid game this afternoon).

I like our four lines, but I think we need to add a Brazeau, Raddysh or a Tippett to our arsenal if we want to compete.

We have some good defenders, but none that are true gamebreakers offensively (with the exception of Gareffa). I'd like to see someone with a Murphy like shot from the point to make our Power Play less predictable.

Our goaltending is bit of an enigma. Richardson looked good this weekend, but has been awful at other times this season. McGonnigle had a great game in Barrie but has played like a Junior B goalie every other time he's played. ADB had an impressive start, but there is a real question of whether he can stay healthy (sidenote: Brown is now calling the "upper body injury" a concussion). If we can't pry Depietro away from Windsor, Cormier might be a good addition.

If we're going to go for it, we have the picks to do it. The question is who besides North Bay, Sudbury, Erie, Flint and Mississauga is going to be a seller. London???

Saturday September 23rd...game #2 in Sarnia...Rangers won 3-1

Forget DiPietro...Rychel won't trade him this year...Cormier would be my #1 target but i'm not sure they would trade him.I expect Saginaw to add a few pieces to bolster their lineup
LoneRanger

Postby Overager on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:59 am

[list=][/list]Since we have reached the halfway point in the schedule I decided to take a look at the league scoring to see where the Rangers stand relative to top teams in the western conference. This is a good indicator of "where we stand" as a contending team. I have limited comparisons to only the top 50 in league scoring.When one goes beyond the top 50 the Rangers situation doesn't improve because our "so called depth guys" don't show very well.

Team Number in top 50 Position in top 50
Rangers 3 10th,37, 45
Soo 6 3,5,27,36,43,48
Sarnia 6 1,8,17,28,39,49
Owen Sound 3 7,26,11
London 4 4,13,14,16

Sadly, the stats indicate that the Rangers,indeed, fall in the second tier of the Western conference and to advance beyond the first round of playoffs we will have to beat one of these four teams. I realize that we could add a player (or players) at the deadline but so can these other teams. Also, it's quite likely that London will benefit from the addition of Mete after the world juniors.
I am not wishing the Rangers any hard luck. I would love to see them win but,realistically, the odds don't favour them. Sorry, when I post this the stats run together and don't show in columns as I typed them.
Overager

Postby Toadman on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:16 pm

LoneRanger wrote:Forget DiPietro...Rychel won't trade him this year...Cormier would be my #1 target but i'm not sure they would trade him.I expect Saginaw to add a few pieces to bolster their lineup

Yes, Saginaw is playing fairly well for the first time in a while and already loaded with 2018 2nds so Cormier for top prospects perhaps if they are hoping to build for next year + and we'd have to trade/shed Hendo or ADB. Realistically, there's likely not many options now at all for adding a goalie and prices for even 'fringe' guys will be steep.

WR is wiley ... he could still be stickhandling to trade DiPietro for a crazy bid that rebuilds the Spits in a hurry and sets him up to look like a hero or stand pat, continue trading off graduating players, keep winning games & hope he's in an even better position to trade MD next year. WR would really love to have all of our 2018-20 2nd round picks :!:
Toadman

Return to RangersRush Interactive