Brown's article re trades

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Brown's article re trades

Postby Overager on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Interesting article but the bottom line is that the Rangers, even with trades, are simply not strong enough to "go for it." MacKenzie is fooling himself and the team if he thinks that the Rangers are close to being contenders. We have an abundance of veteran players who would never be first, second,or even third liners on the Soo or Sarnia.Hell, our overage forward has,what, 8 goals.We don't have a decent OHL goalie and how healthy is Hall?
Overager

Re: Brown's article re trades

Postby LoneRanger on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Overager wrote:Interesting article but the bottom line is that the Rangers, even with trades, are simply not strong enough to "go for it." MacKenzie is fooling himself and the team if he thinks that the Rangers are close to being contenders. We have an abundance of veteran players who would never be first, second,or even third liners on the Soo or Sarnia.Hell, our overage forward has,what, 8 goals.We don't have a decent OHL goalie and how healthy is Hall?

This year is the best chance we will have for at least 3 years so why not go for it???...i'm tired of the "just make the playoffs" approach...I'm behind McKenzie all the way on his "all in" this year approach.

I agree Henderson should be replaced...Luchuk would of been a tremendous upgrade...their are other options still available so let's wait until the trade deadline has passed to see if anything happens here

Hall returns tonight in OwenSound

As for the goalies...McKenzie is pinning his hopes on ADB...although again i say let's wait until the deadline to see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat...Cormier,Wells?...you never know ;)
Last edited by LoneRanger on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneRanger

Postby Overager on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:33 am

I'm basing my analysis on the huge gap between the Rangers and The Soo and Sarnia, with London not out of the equation.I doubt that the Rangers can get anything for our expendable players and our young recent draftees are obviously not putting up numbers that would indicate they are desired by other teams. I do agree that we are not a team that should wait until next year or the following. When one looks beyond our older obvious talent the cupboards are bare. This SHOULD be our year of contention but our weak drafting, trading and development have left us with little on which to build. We should have been able to get a boat-full for Gibson but we decided to keep him and ,at this time, we are too far behind the true contenders.Fans probably don't like to hear this but it is reality.
Overager

Postby Sideliner on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:41 am

LoneRanger wrote:
This year is the best chance we will have for at least 3 years so why not go for it???...i'm tired of the "just make the playoffs" approach...I'm behind McKenzie all the way on his "all in" this year approach.

I agree Henderson should be replaced...Luchuk would of been a tremendous upgrade...their are other options still available so let's wait until the trade deadline has passed to see if anything happens here

I'm told no timeline on Hall...but at least another 2 weeks minumum

As for the goalies...McKenzie is pinning his hopes on ADB...although again i say let's wait until the deadline to see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat...Cormier,Wells?...you never know ;)

Thanks for the info LR.

I agree. There's a big gap between this team and the Soo - the true measuring stick in this league - but after this year things are looking pretty grim. This past year's draft sure doesn't help. So it's pretty much a given that the Rangers are all in.

My biggest concern is how much this team is going to have to give up to reach a point where they have a shot at upsetting the Soo, or even getting past another opponent in the 2nd round. I understand that this coming year's draft is strong. It would be a big time help if the Rangers could hang on to those three 2nd rounders. I just can't see how we escape the trade deadline with these three intact considering this team's needs.
Sideliner

Postby Medway Bear on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Given the Rangers performance over the previous 5 seasons, I think fans deserve something above a 3rd in the division finish and a 2nd round loss and as LR says this might be the best chance for a while, but I am not sure they have the horses for a long play off run, but they might finish second in the division.
Medway Bear

Postby Overager on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Three second round picks are great providing the Rangers can get them to report. This past draft saw our second round pick not even consider the Rangers. I wish there was some way to tap into the scouting information of some other teams since our scouts seem to have difficulty evaluating talent. Maybe we need a scouting over-haul.To the topic; "going for it" with a few upgrades is what we did a few years ago only to have London (I think) hand our ass to us on a platter.Given what we have we will have to get the top player from a number of teams and that's unlikely to happen.
Overager

Postby SurrealCivic on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm really hoping a big trade is going to be announced with Erie,
Sambrook and Timpano coming to Rangers for Richardson,Gareffa, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, and more. That doesn't solve our forward need, but it does help a lot in competing with the Soo. Feel free to speculate with me.
We all know(hope?) it's going to be Soo vs.Kit in the West Conf Finals, Kit needs to add a lot more than what I said above to compete with Soo and more. MMac, I'm sure you''re well into knowing what this is going to look like by now .
SurrealCivic

Postby memcup on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 am

Timpano's GAA & S% are worst than Richardson's and he is still out with an injury. He isn't an upgrade in my mind.

Dumb question.... What is the definition of "going for it" winning the West? Winning the OHL?..... winning the Memorial Cup?
Personally I'd like to see 3 rounds of Playoff hockey, anything more than that gets expensive. Although sleeping on the floor @ my sister's apartment in Regina would help cut costs
memcup

Postby EchoThree on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:03 am

Don’t use Timpano’s stats from this season as he has a much weaker defense in front of him. Last year he had good stats and played 20 playoff games. I don’t know anything about his injury though, so that would be a big factor obviously.

Seems like Erie has a lot of nice pieces that they might trade so we’ll see.

Going for it has to mean a run at the OHL Championship. You worry about the Memorial Cup if and when you get there as it is a bit of a crapshoot given the format.
EchoThree

Postby SurrealCivic on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:17 am

Great discussion last night on the post game show on 570News with Farwell, great callers. What I learned is that Timpano is not the answer. We will have to give up huge to get DiPietro, it is a possibility if we add other pieces. Helvig could be available and be a cheaper option to DiPietro. Nic Hague from Sauga could possibility be a good piece to be added to our defense.

If I fast forward to April and it is Game 4 vs. Soo at Home, we will need that extra defensive piece and that deep playoff experienced veteran goaltender. If I were to hold back on anything it would be a forward. I say pay up for DiPietro, add Hague and hopefully we don't have to give up Garreffa.
SurrealCivic

Postby Medway Bear on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:16 am

I used to think the "it", part of "going for it" is the Memorial Cup, now given this teams total lack of success over the last 9 seasons I have lowered my expectations. I now define "it" as two banners in the rafters. So that's either Division winner and making the OHL finals or winning the OHL.

As for who to trade for, there seems to be a lack of of available goalies. With Kingston may be making a trade with Windsor and sitting 3rd in the East, I am not convinced Helvig is available. I do not think Timpano is the answer. It will be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks go.
Medway Bear

Postby Overager on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:01 pm

How many players must the Rangers add to become a true contender? Brown indicates two; a goaltender and a dman. I contend that he is over rating the Rangers present lineup. How many OHL " elite" players do the Rangers presently have? I feel that they have only one (Mascherin) and that might be questioned.We have only one player in the world junior tournament and that is Liska . How many do Sault Ste.Marie have? What about London? Owen sound? I say that the Rangers would have to add more players than they can afford to become a contender.What is your opinion based on your head and not your heart.
Overager

Postby JEF on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:09 pm

For a "non contending team with maybe one elite OHL player" I'd say the Rangers are doing pretty well to have the fourth most points in the league and leading the Mid West division. That's not using my head or or my heart, those are the current stats.
JEF

Postby Overager on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:13 pm

JEF- However, looking at the "present contending teams" and their lineups, how would you rate the Rangers? Maybe they are, indeed, stronger than I see them.I do know that a few years ago our management felt that we were strong enough to win a title and "went for it" with disastrous results. Don't you think were are in the same position?
Overager

Postby Overager on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:48 pm

On Sunday I posted that when one looks at elite OHL players the Rangers have,in my opinion, only one (Mascherin) and I'm not certain of that . Today in Peterborough that was obvious with Masherin getting 4 of our 5 goals. Where were the rest of our "contending "team? Sherwood might be lucky to get half the points he had last year. Bunnaman is a decent second line player, Garreffa is doing well. Beyond that we are not in the contending teams category.Plus, we have weak goaltending.
Overager

Next

Return to RangersRush Interactive