It's Finally Official...Rangers/Spits Trade

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Re: It's Finally Official...Rangers/Spits Trade

Postby EchoThree on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Our top three scorers right now are all Rangers drafted players, including Mascherin who is the #6 scorer in the league.
EchoThree

Postby memcup on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:37 pm

It is interesting to go back and look to see who the Rangers picked and who was right in front of their face.
Washkurak was picked 9 in the 2nd round the Rangers picked Vukojevic 12th and picked Ladd in the 1st.round.
In 2015 Willms and Lane were picked ahead of Garreffa ...I believe Lane was released by Sudbury. BUT Meireles was picked 3 rounds earlier :oops:
In 2014 Stanley was 1st rd 12 th .pick Mascherin was 2nd overall
In the 2nd round Kitchener picked Bunnaman 2 picks after Hague and 2 picks before Katchouk
In 2013 the Rangers picked Davies in the 1st. round the highest pick KW product was Cascagnette
memcup

Postby EchoThree on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 pm

memcup wrote:It is interesting to go back and look to see who the Rangers picked and who was right in front of their face.
Washkurak was picked 9 in the 2nd round the Rangers picked Vukojevic 12th and picked Ladd in the 1st.round.
In 2015 Willms and Lane were picked ahead of Garreffa ...I believe Lane was released by Sudbury. BUT Meireles was picked 3 rounds earlier :oops:
In the 2nd round Kitchener picked Bunnaman 2 picks after Hague and 2 picks before Katchouk
In 2013 the Rangers picked Davies in the 1st. round the highest pick KW product was Cascagnette

You can do this type of “hindsight is 20/20” exercise for pretty much any sports team in history that is involved in drafts.
EchoThree

Postby Overager on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Mcup- As Taychuck pointed out , when I referred to Ranger draft picks being "useless" I was implying that, based on our draft record over the past two years, the Rangers probably have the worst draft record in the entire league.I don'r know if this lies with our scouting staff, Heibert and MacKenzie,or a combined inept record.
This past year we selected Ladd 1st and prior to his trade he had 1 assist .However, he was a dman. Our second pick wouldn't report although I understand he has now signed.Our3rd selection (Gordon) has 0 points but really didn't make the team.We had no 4th pick.Our 5th selection has our 5 ft.4inch forward(Petizian) who has 1 g and 2 assists in 24 games. I don't even scout and I probably could have done this well.

Our 2016 draft was no hell, but it was better.vallati and Damiani have done well.Our next 5 selections have ,in two years contributed a total of 8 goals and 8 assists. One (Rippon) wouldn't report and Pfeil is a goalie and we have no idea how good he is,or will be.

Looking at this record I have come to the conclusion that getting draft picks is a "crap shoot." Hell,even the players we received for Bracco were expendable on the Windsor team. I suspect that a team like London would have turned down Burns and Carter.
Are the rangers in good hands at the draft table ? What do you think?
Overager

Postby Number65 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Ladd led our D in +/- before being traded. Clearly, he was coveted by other teams.

Michael Vukojevic has signed.

Matt Gordon is playing Junior B. He'll make the team next year. That's not an uncommon path (see Mike Duco and Dan Kelly, as examples)

Petizian has been an effective fourth liner when he's cracked the lineup. For a small guy, he's thrown some of the best body checks we've seen all year and drives other teams nuts.
Number65

Postby Medway Bear on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 pm

EchoThree wrote:
memcup wrote:It is interesting to go back and look to see who the Rangers picked and who was right in front of their face.

You can do this type of “hindsight is 20/20” exercise for pretty much any sports team in history that is involved in drafts.

If you don't use hindsight how do you rate how well your GM did in the draft? Results are what count, not potential. You can't always expect a GM though to pick the best player available every time, I just hope he doesn't pass up too many better players.
Medway Bear

Postby memcup on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:59 pm

London probably wouldn't have taken Burns and Carter, they probably would have taking picks..... much like the ones the Rangers just got for Carter.
Yes the draft is a crap shot. Just ask London fans about Foudy . And if there are any Knights fans reading this what's the story on Rowe ( truly want to know).
If you can't pick a star player you better have the assets to by one.

Do I think the Rangers are in good hands at the draft table? Yes. Were they in the past? Not every year. I do think the scouting staff could be improved.
memcup

Postby Overager on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 pm

MCup- Come on. Be honest and admit that the last few years the Ranger draft has been VERY bad; particularly the last two years.Further, as far as the Bracco trade was concerned I could pick three or four players from the Windsor line up I would have been glad to see us get in return as opposed to Carter and Burns.I'm hoping that next year,without Heibert around, that MacKenzie can "be his own man."
Overager

Postby memcup on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 am

I guess the Rangers could of, should kept Bracco and got nothing for him.

But then the "we should have sold " argument comes up again.
Bottom line the Spits weren't giving away Vilardi. Getting Bracco and giving Vilardi doesn't improve the team.

Would Kitchener fans been happy to get Corcoran? Rangers needed an experienced D not a rookie. In fact the Rangers probably just traded a similar player to Windsor.
In 2 years it will be, "sure wish we had a few big defense men like Windsor"
Last edited by memcup on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
memcup

Postby pokey on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 am

bracco would only accept a trade to Windsor. Burns and Carter were just add ons. When your hands are tied and you only have 1 team to trade with I (like most others) thought the return was fair giving the circumstances. Nothing will ever please you though OA.
pokey

Postby EchoThree on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 am

memcup wrote:In 2 years it will be, "sure wish we had a few big defense men like Windsor"

Vukojevic is 6'3" and over 200lbs at age 16, so we'll have at least one big D-man for the next few years.
EchoThree

Postby Number65 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:46 am

For comparison, here are the current stats on London's 2017 draft class:

Round 1: Lucas Rowe C 19 games played. 0 points
Round 2: Andrew Perrott D 35 games played. 4 points
Round 3: Dalton Duhart C/LW 17 games played. 1 point
Round 5: Liam Whittaker D 1 game played. 1 point

And, from the 2016 draft:

Round 1: Liam Foudy C 35 games played. 11 points
Round 2: Billy Moskal C 38 games played. 7 points
Round 4: Richard Whittaker LW 30 games played. 5 points
Round 4: Alec Regula D 40 games played. 11 points
Round 8: Jordan Kooy G 14 games played 3.03 GAA

Compare that to Villati, Damiani, Guest, York, Ladd, Petizian and what we've yet to see from Vujokevic.

But, yeah Overager... please tell us again how the Knights are the class of the OHL and the Rangers will never compete with their stellar drafting ability.
Number65

Postby Overager on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:34 pm

65- And how do our team results compare over the past 8 or 9 years?
Overager

Postby Deener on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Overager wrote:65- And how do our team results compare over the past 8 or 9 years?

Duuuuuuuuuuudeeee-- 8 or 9 years????? You want the track record of 4 different GM's? What's that supposed to prove at this point in time?

How about we all just agree that the rangers GM has made some pretty savvy moves, set the team up for a nice deep run in the playoffs (it's on the team now), and left the team in a position to have 3 earlier picks in a strong draft that could be used to make our next core.

NEW GM, new slate, new track record. No sense re-hashing something from a decade ago.
Deener

Postby Medway Bear on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Deener wrote:
Overager wrote:65- And how do our team results compare over the past 8 or 9 years?

Duuuuuuuuuuudeeee-- 8 or 9 years????? You want the track record of 4 different GM's? What's that supposed to prove at this point in time?

How about we all just agree that the rangers GM has made some pretty savvy moves, set the team up for a nice deep run in the playoffs (it's on the team now), and left the team in a position to have 3 earlier picks in a strong draft that could be used to make our next core.

NEW GM, new slate, new track record. No sense re-hashing something from a decade ago.

A couple of points. I agree that the current Rangers GM has the team in a good place on paper, but they haven't won anything yet, they need to deliver on the ice. Am I hopeful, yes, but let say how good the GM is when he has a track record of results.

As for forgetting about previous GMs, I don't know who hired the GMs, but the performance of those past GM tells you how good the people doing the hiring are doing.

Talking of past GMs with the trading of Henderson and the releasing of Opilka, the final players Steve Spott drafted are gone and we can look back at Spott the GM without wondering if a player will suddenly come good or fail.
Medway Bear

PreviousNext

Return to RangersRush Interactive