Josh Brown's OHL 21 CHANGE

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Josh Brown's OHL 21 CHANGE

Postby Kemosabe on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 pm

I really like his first one although it has been suggested before.

1. I've mentioned this before but it's my biggest gripe with the OHL so it's worth repeating. It's time to seed the teams one through 20 after the regular season so that the top 16 clubs — regardless of conference — qualify for the post-season.1. I've mentioned this before but it's my biggest gripe with the OHL so it's worth repeating. It's time to seed the teams one through 20 after the regular season so that the top 16 clubs — regardless of conference — qualify for the post-season.

Any comments?
# Rangers will Raise the Shield

Newest Ranger inspiration
Kemosabe

Re: Josh Brown's OHL 21 CHANGE

Postby JEF on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm

LOVE this idea. It should be done.

And conference ranking should be by points too. It looks silly to see us ranked #2 in the Western Conference with 56 points when Sarnia has 60 points and they are ranked 3rd

Just rank the conference by points an be done with it.
JEF

Postby EchoThree on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 am

I don't disagree with the 1-16 plan, but I am happy that the Rangers might actually get to take advantage of the "division leader gets 2nd" loophole given that we have been on the "losing" end of that loophole in the past. We've often had more points than the second-place team in the other division and it always cost us 1 place in the standings.

But for next season, sure, make it 1-16 for the playoffs!
EchoThree

Postby Toadman on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 am

I don’t have an issue with the Division winners seeding 1 & 2 but it could 'relax' to a 1-8 Conference seeding for playoffs easily enough. In a top 16 seeding there are some issues, just imagine the travel time/cost/fatigue & school absence disparity in a scenario where Ottawa goes 7 games with each of Flint, Erie and the Soo before meeting Guelph in a final where the Storm swept through Kitchener, Niagara & Mississauga.

Much of JB’s list is fluff (esp. mullets!). The one area that urgently needs improvement above anything else is officiating … it only ’tarnishes’ more games every year and while video review should help, it turned into a gong show last year (esp. for Kitchener ...& Windsor). Need more training/monitoring and perhaps have supervisors w/alternates attend as many games as ($) possible to monitor, oversee the vid reviews and be empowered to pull anyone on ice that’s having an ‘off night’ during games that they attend.
Last edited by Toadman on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toadman

Postby Kemosabe on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am

Yes many of JB points were not OHL fault but rather CHL although we do have input into that body.
# Rangers will Raise the Shield

Newest Ranger inspiration
Kemosabe

Postby JEF on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Toadman, I completely agree with Video goal judges. How does one become a VGJ? What are the qualifications? Would it be better to have an iPad or Tablet at ice level so the refs can see things for themselves?

Yes, have supervisors and alternates there too. Last year we got VGJ'd out of goals and had a free one given to us.
JEF

Postby Toadman on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:34 am

JEF wrote:Toadman, I completely agree with Video goal judges. How does one become a VGJ? What are the qualifications? Would it be better to have an iPad or Tablet at ice level so the refs can see things for themselves?

The league assigns the vid review judges and they’re generally former refs, sometimes regulars residing locally and sometimes floaters that travel like other refs. Here, we seem to regularly have ex-pro refs Lance Roberts or Leon Stickle. Stickle might still be best known and forever unwelcome in Philadelphia for blowing ‘the call’ (later conceded) that cost Philly the 1980(?) Stanley Cup! Stickle gave us a freebie about this time last year on one that will forever remain ‘mysterious’ after we had been stung for 3 earlier in the season and had to settle for post game ’apologies’ from the league. Ex-refs Ray McManus & Bill Waye frequently receive standing ovations for their expertise at Knights home games … though McManus can’t count 2017 Spit’s coach Rocky Thompson & GM Warren Rychel among his fans after causing both some excess heart & vocal cord wear+tear plus several thousand $ in fines for their trouble to obtain an official apology from Ted Baker for the wacko freebie he gave the Knights in the 1st round that may have helped prevent a potential Spit’s sweep.
Toadman

Postby JEF on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Toadman, It was Actually Lance Roberts who gave us the freebie goal. I will never understand how when the puck leaves the ice and goes into the stands, no one raised their stick in celebration, the crowd didn't cheer and the players lined up for a faceoff to the left of the goalie that he could watch a video and call a goal.
JEF

Postby Toadman on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:14 pm

JEF wrote:Toadman, It was Actually Lance Roberts

I remember at the time being surprised to see Leon Stickle's name on the game sheet since it's almost always Lance. At least if it was Stickle, it might make sense :lol:

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/reports/ ... 1/official
Toadman

Postby KnightHawk on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:44 pm

It's time to seed the teams one through 20 after the regular season so that the top 16 clubs — regardless of conference — qualify for the post-season.

Honestly, I agree with this.

Some will say that the travel would be an issue.
The QMJHL does their playoffs 1-16, and their travel costs/distances FAR outweigh the teams in the OHL.

And, for that matter, I think they have less revenue to work with. I know that Drummondville draws an average of about 2000 fans a game.

As well, for what it's worth, when we (London) played Saginaw, in between games 3 and 4, which were during the week, they came home between games 3 and 4. I bet they would have stayed over if their opponent were a team (or most teams) that are in the Eastern Conference.

KnightHawk
2017-18 PERRY PLEDGE
Knights = $111.00
Voltigeurs = $53.00
Side Bets = $11.00
GRAND TOTAL (as at after games on February 23rd) = $175.00
KnightHawk

Location: Ingersoll, Waterloo, London, Woodstock, Thamesford (pick one)

Postby LetsGoRangers on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:44 pm

KnightHawk wrote:
It's time to seed the teams one through 20 after the regular season so that the top 16 clubs — regardless of conference — qualify for the post-season.

Honestly, I agree with this.

KnightHawk

I disagree. Because of the disparity of the Conference (past several years West is stronger than East) and unbalanced schedule (play significantly more games against teams in your own Conference), not ranking within Conference will not result in the 16 best teams making the playoffs. In other words, a much better team in one Conference with less points than a team in the weaker Conference may not make the playoffs (or at least be ranked lower for home ice advantage).

No system is perfect but current system "corrects" for above somewhat.
LetsGoRangers

Postby KnightHawk on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:19 pm

LetsGoRangers wrote:I disagree. Because of the disparity of the Conference (past several years West is stronger than East) and unbalanced schedule (play significantly more games against teams in your own Conference), not ranking within Conference will not result in the 16 best teams making the playoffs. In other words, a much better team in one Conference with less points than a team in the weaker Conference may not make the playoffs (or at least be ranked lower for home ice advantage).

No system is perfect but current system "corrects" for above somewhat.

Valid points.

I would propose still doing the top 8 in each conference, and rank them 1-16 by points. If they are done by points, it could turn out that all of the teams in the Western Conference make the playoffs, and 4 teams in the Eastern Conference do not.

And, another "for what it's worth" moments:

When playoffs loom, I did the breakdown of 1-16 vs. own conference. You know, because this topic is brought up each season. ;)
In the 8 first-round matchups, I would say on an average of 2.5 matchups, the first round opponents would be the same regardless of either method.

KnightHawk
2017-18 PERRY PLEDGE
Knights = $111.00
Voltigeurs = $53.00
Side Bets = $11.00
GRAND TOTAL (as at after games on February 23rd) = $175.00
KnightHawk

Location: Ingersoll, Waterloo, London, Woodstock, Thamesford (pick one)

Return to RangersRush Interactive