Weekend games: Erie and Guelph

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Weekend games: Erie and Guelph

Postby EchoThree on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:17 am

Rangers with a decent effort tonight against Erie. I thought they let off the gas a bit in the second period and Erie got a lot of decent chances, but Culina stood tall. He is a poised goalie and good at flicking rebounds into the corners.

The ice looked pretty bad again tonight, a lot of pucks bouncing over sticks and guys having to settle the puck after passes, which lets the opposing goalie get into position. Mascherin fanned on a couple good chances when the puck just hopped over his stick after he pulled it back for a wrist shot. Frustrating.

I thought the refs let way too much go in the first two periods. Should have been a couple penalties called both ways. And apparently it is OK to sit on top of a goalie behind their net. Nice save by Stanley though to save the shutout!

Let’s hope the forward lines really get going on Sunday vs Guelph. Should be interesting to see Smith playing his old team. I doubt they are looking forward to facing him!
EchoThree

Re: Weekend games: Erie and Guelph

Postby JEF on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 am

Erie played well.

I love what McEneny brings to the team. Culina. 2 shut outs in a row.

Guelph is going to be primed for Sunday's game. It should be an exciting game. Let's do our part and be loud!
JEF

Postby memcup on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 pm

A couple of good games with some great timely saves by Culina. I would still like to see the defensive game improve and allow fewer shots.

I loved the way Smith treated Merkley on a couple shifts. Last year if you did that to Merkley you would have to deal with Smith. Today his ex-bodyguard was the enemy.
memcup

Postby Toadman on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 am

memcup wrote:I loved the way Smith treated Merkley on a couple shifts.

Merkley did get frustrated :!: No question Merkley is a very talented kid but between snapping his stick in tantrum, incessantly whining after every call against Guelph and moping around like a toddler that dropped an ice cream cone on several occasions ... one has to question his potential for success in any adult league.
Toadman

Postby Overager on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 am

Culina has a habit of sending out rebounds on shots. I wonder if top teams will take advantage of this tendency?
Overager

Postby EchoThree on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Culina purposefully sends rebounds into the corners when he feels he can't corral the puck based on the shot and his positioning. This is vastly superior to uncontrolled rebounds that go back in front of the net. Obviously no goalie can control 100% of all rebounds but sending most of them into the corners is the better way to go.
EchoThree

Return to RangersRush Interactive