London Knights Roster 2017/18???

London Knights 2005 Memorial Cup Champions, and OHL Champions. Holders of the best record(59-7-2-0) and worst record (3-60-3) in OHL history!!! Welcome all!

Moderator: OHLArenaGuide

London Knights Roster 2017/18???

Postby Green Hornet on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:49 am

So with End of the Knights Season in Erie its time to look at our Roster for next Season...Thoughts Gang on what the Team will look like
Come September?
Knightmare:"I would Be Pleased to see Mark back Behind the Bench,even if it is just to Kick Dale in the A$$!"
Green Hornet

Re: London Knights Roster 2017/18???

Postby jfacowns on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 am

I love how quickly this thread was started. Always look ahead!

Well.. here's my guess as to what this team looks like next year...

full disclosure, i have no idea when the OA cut off date is so i might have more than 3 in here, forgive me.

Pu, Thomas, Jones, Mete, Bouchard, Formenton, Crawley(OA), Militic(OA), Tymkim, Foudy, Carbonara(OA), Nelson, Mattinen, ALL return IMO. Jones is the only one with a real chance and I think Anaheim sends him back to hopefully get his head on a little more straight. The skill, effort, and talent is all there. There's just some loose screws that need tightening and i dont see him making the NHL.

Juolevi is my wildcard. who ever knows what the Canucks are going to do. At times, Olli looked terrific, other times he was flat out awful. Could get his 9 games and be sent back, just my opinion.

I don't see how Parsons makes the NHL next year as good as he is or whether or not he deserves a shot, which I think he does. To make the NHL as a 19 year old goalie is pretty well unheard of. You'd want him to get playing time and I'm not sure it even happens with the Flames if he makes the roster out of camp. Way too good to be in the OHL but he could very well be a victim of circumstance. Kooy will be a real solid backup next year and if Parsons somehow isnt back, he should be ready to take the reigns. Lets not keep Johnson as an OA please.

Whittaker, Turko, Moskal, Golden, Coome should all be regulars. Lucas Rowe, though i know nothing about him, will probably make this team because he's 1st round pick and London does not miss on too many of those.

Is Pataki still London property? He stopped being listed as a scratch 3/4 through the year

Leaving the knights from this year we have the 3 OA's, Piccinich, Macdonald, and Salituro (good riddance). Kuokkanen is AHL eligible so yesterday was the last time we see him. Stephens is gone. I am not sold on Vande Sompel being gone. He probably makes the AHL for the Islanders affiliate but aside from foot speed, I dont really get it. I saw him make some really terrible passes this year trying to break out of the D zone, no one is afraid to get in the way of that shot, when he actually does shoot. I think there's a very small chance he's back but a chance nonetheless. Maybe i don't see what everyone else does.

Mete gets the C, Crawley, Thomas, Pu get A's
jfacowns

Postby DrummondIsGod on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:28 pm

jfacowns wrote:I love how quickly this thread was started. Always look ahead!

Well.. here's my guess as to what this team looks like next year...

full disclosure, i have no idea when the OA cut off date is so i might have more than 3 in here, forgive me.

Pu, Thomas, Jones, Mete, Bouchard, Formenton, Crawley(OA), Militic(OA), Tymkim, Foudy, Carbonara(OA), Nelson, Mattinen, ALL return IMO. Jones is the only one with a real chance and I think Anaheim sends him back to hopefully get his head on a little more straight. The skill, effort, and talent is all there. There's just some loose screws that need tightening and i dont see him making the NHL.

Juolevi is my wildcard. who ever knows what the Canucks are going to do. At times, Olli looked terrific, other times he was flat out awful. Could get his 9 games and be sent back, just my opinion.

I don't see how Parsons makes the NHL next year as good as he is or whether or not he deserves a shot, which I think he does. To make the NHL as a 19 year old goalie is pretty well unheard of. You'd want him to get playing time and I'm not sure it even happens with the Flames if he makes the roster out of camp. Way too good to be in the OHL but he could very well be a victim of circumstance. Kooy will be a real solid backup next year and if Parsons somehow isnt back, he should be ready to take the reigns. Lets not keep Johnson as an OA please.

Whittaker, Turko, Moskal, Golden, Coome should all be regulars. Lucas Rowe, though i know nothing about him, will probably make this team because he's 1st round pick and London does not miss on too many of those.

Is Pataki still London property? He stopped being listed as a scratch 3/4 through the year

Leaving the knights from this year we have the 3 OA's, Piccinich, Macdonald, and Salituro (good riddance). Kuokkanen is AHL eligible so yesterday was the last time we see him. Stephens is gone. I am not sold on Vande Sompel being gone. He probably makes the AHL for the Islanders affiliate but aside from foot speed, I dont really get it. I saw him make some really terrible passes this year trying to break out of the D zone, no one is afraid to get in the way of that shot, when he actually does shoot. I think there's a very small chance he's back but a chance nonetheless. Maybe i don't see what everyone else does.

Mete gets the C, Crawley, Thomas, Pu get A's

Parsons will be an OA. He is AHL eligible. He is as good as gone. Calgary must make room in the AHL for him.

Johnson will be a 19 year old. I am hoping with more coaching from Dave Rook he will be better next year. Remember Parsons wasn't great in his first year either. Kooy will push him.

I am not sold on Turko. I think we have better prospects that we should play. I am hoping Vinogradov is in our plans. I want to see Duhart in the lineup as well.
DrummondIsGod

Postby jfacowns on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 pm

I had no idea Parsons would be OA next year. Given that he was only drafted last year, i thought he was in his 18 year old season.

That changes things pretty dramatically.
jfacowns

Postby KnightWatch on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Johnson may begin the year as the starter....but I'd expect Kooy to take over within the first few weeks!

I also think Turko will be hard-pressed to make the team (as a regular). After we (hopefully) sign a few American kids, I think roster space will once again be limited.
KnightWatch

Postby STS44 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Has Braeden Tkachuk - Matthew's younger brother - been drafted by an OHL team? If not Dale, etc should do whatever they can to get this kid to London next season. Absolute beast in IIHF U18 tournament.
STS44

Postby KnightHawk on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Has Braeden Tkachuk - Matthew's younger brother - been drafted by an OHL team?

If we're talking BRADY Tkachuk, he has been drafted by an OHL team. That team?

THE LONDON KNIGHTS!

[wink]

In the 2015 draft, he was selected by London in the 4th round.

He is a BU (Boston University) commit. This was according to DrummondIsGod on a previous thread.

(I ALWAYS want to state my sources. [wink])

I'm sure Dale will work his magic to get him to report here.

KnightHawk
2017-18 PERRY PLEDGE
Knights = $40.00
Voltigeurs = $15.00
Side Bets = $6.00
GRAND TOTAL (as at after games on November 19th) = $61.00
KnightHawk

Location: Ingersoll, Waterloo, London, Woodstock, Thamesford (pick one)

Postby kjh on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm

The biggest criticism I have of the Knights deadline deal(s) his past season was the size of Salutaro and Vande Somple. Both were on the small side, and that size differential created all sorts of problems. We already had one d-man ( Mete ) who was smaller, but could compensate for his stature by superior skating. The team could and did make the adjustment required, for his place in the lineup. However, bringing in 2 more diminutive players meant that they could be dominated physically....and they were. During the playoffs, there was scarcely a good bodycheck to opponents, so they had time & space to free wheel in our defensive zone.Neither Mete or Vande Somple could engage the bigger forwards physically, so they didn't. Compound that situation with Salutaro as a forward, and the efficiency of his forechecking became zero, with no offensive upside. Only 4 of our d-men were capable of handling the heavy work in the corners and along the boards.

That situation needs correction ! Whichever players make the roster, they need some size, combined with a temperment that isn't shy toward more physical play. Speedy & skilled is OK, but too much of that ingredient can play havoc with team chemistry, and I believe that was the problem post trade deadline. Only 1 acquisition became a positive contributor, and coincidentally, was the largest of the trio.
Because I don't agree with your point, doesn't mean that I "don't get it". The possibility exists that I get it.....but still don't agree.
kjh

Postby Pitou on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 pm

kjh wrote:The biggest criticism I have of the Knights deadline deal(s) his past season was the size of Salutaro and Vande Somple. Both were on the small side, and that size differential created all sorts of problems. We already had one d-man ( Mete ) who was smaller, but could compensate for his stature by superior skating. The team could and did make the adjustment required, for his place in the lineup. However, bringing in 2 more diminutive players meant that they could be dominated physically....and they were. During the playoffs, there was scarcely a good bodycheck to opponents, so they had time & space to free wheel in our defensive zone.Neither Mete or Vande Somple could engage the bigger forwards physically, so they didn't. Compound that situation with Salutaro as a forward, and the efficiency of his forechecking became zero, with no offensive upside. Only 4 of our d-men were capable of handling the heavy work in the corners and along the boards.

That situation needs correction ! Whichever players make the roster, they need some size, combined with a temperment that isn't shy toward more physical play. Speedy & skilled is OK, but too much of that ingredient can play havoc with team chemistry, and I believe that was the problem post trade deadline. Only 1 acquisition became a positive contributor, and coincidentally, was the largest of the trio.

kjh, I think you're being a bit harsh on the Salituro deal with the benefit of hindsight. Boiled down, the Knights acquired a 38 goal, 83 point guy for Martinet, who by the sounds of it was ready to be lynched by many Knights fans anyway and was described as "addition by subtraction", and a 2nd and 3rd rounder...plus a swap of relatively inconsequential later round picks. London needed scoring depth. Salituro was pretty cheap for what he brought offensively on paper. Yes, size probably kept him from costing London a few extra picks. Mitch VDS was probably less of what London needed on the backend but a quality acquisition nonetheless. I don't know enough about Ian Blacker to know what sort of future cost he was. There was more than a few happy dances with the pick up of these players, likely mostly due to Stephens around the same time.
Pitou

Postby Otto on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm

If the Salitaro deal isn't done then the Knights still don't beat Erie, and the fans would be bitching because Martenet was still on the team
Having the balls to say what you think isn't being a man - Being a man is having the balls to admit when you're wrong

Trusted by Manny
Otto

Postby STS44 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:03 am

Knighthawk - Thank you for the info on Brady Tkachuk ( graphics @ U18 show him as Braeden but announcers call him Brady). Kid is a money player - no doubt a one year player but a dominant one. They always play up the US college committs but have mentioned nothing about him going to BU - sure Dale is working his magic already!
STS44

Postby KnightHawk on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Knighthawk - Thank you for the info on Brady Tkachuk ( graphics @ U18 show him as Braeden but announcers call him Brady).

No problem.

I didn't know if there was a Braeden Tkachuk in the mix that isn't related to Keith and Matthew. Then again, with a last name like Tkachuk.....

I watched a bit of the semi-final game for the U-18s this morning, and Braeden's name was mentioned in passing. Craig Button mentioned that he was born one day too late for this year's draft.
He would have been a top 5 NHL pick this year. He will be a top 5 pick next year.

KnightHawk
2017-18 PERRY PLEDGE
Knights = $40.00
Voltigeurs = $15.00
Side Bets = $6.00
GRAND TOTAL (as at after games on November 19th) = $61.00
KnightHawk

Location: Ingersoll, Waterloo, London, Woodstock, Thamesford (pick one)

Postby Rusty Shackleford on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Forward:
Jones - Thomas - Kuokkanen (??)
Miletic (OA) - Pu - Tkachuk (??)
Carbonara (OA) - Foudy - Formenton
Tymkin - Moskal - Rowe

Whittaker, Nelson, Cottam, Turko

Defense:
Juolevi (??) - Crawley (OA)
Mete - Bouchard
Perrot ** - Mattinen

Golden, Bangs

Goal:
Kooey - Johnson

That is the best case scenario.
(??)
Kuokannen - AHL eligible next year, so that increases the chances he leaves. OHL still a very good option for him IMO.
Juolevi - Canucks are brutal and Tryamkin just left for KHL, so a ton of room on Canucks defense. But not eligible for AHL, so that helps Knights chances.
Tkachuk - Obviously hasn't committed or signed with Knights yet. So that is a very optimistic get.

**Perrot - apparantly his Dad was on a radio show and said his son will play for London next year. So lets assume he is very much in the mix.
Rusty Shackleford

Postby STS44 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:50 pm

They keep mentioning Tkachuk is Matts younger brother and Keith's son so guessing same kid drafted by Knights.
STS44

Postby dae a miracle on Wed May 03, 2017 11:40 am

Being as next year looks like a retooling year, I wouldn't be surprised if we sell to gain some drafting assets.

I see little incentive for Brady Tkachuk to report, I believe BU is better option for him and apparently he's leaning that way. https://westnewsmagazine.com/2017/05/02/79888/brady-tkachuk-looks-forward-to-boston-university-hockey-after-helping-team-usa-win-u18-world-championship

In net I see Johnston as the starter chased out by Kooy by mid October. It will be a learning year with Dave Rook being a busy guy.

Our defense will be ok with a good core of Mete, Crawley, Bouchard, Mattinen and I think we see MVS back. Juolevi is gone in my opinion, Vancouver has too many holes and nothing in the pipeline, but you never know.

The big question is the forward group.

Jones, what to do about Jones? It's possible he sticks with Anaheim, the results of the current playoff run and their Payroll will be a big factor. Myself, I think he needs to learn to control that energy, but I don't think it will happen here in London, he needs to get tuned in a bit in the Bigs to tame the chaos.

Pu, in the regular season he showed he has nothing else to do in the 'O, but his payoff performance could affect how Buffalo sees him. Then again, it is Buffalo and I suspect they will give him every shot at sticking. He's back in my opinion. Trade him for picks.

I think Kuokkanen is gone to the AHL. While his game seemed a bit soft for North American, he really seemed to catch fire in the playoffs. Its not an NHL or bust thing with him and I think Carolina have plans for him in their pipeline.

Thomas (I believe I can dangle through all of you) , Miletic, Formenten, Foudy and Carbonara will form a good core, but not going to be our year this time around, and I'm OK with that.

Looking forward to watching the youngins and new kids learn this league.

I didn't look into who/what our OA situation is like next year so if that affects anything I don't think it changes much in terms of what this team will be come October 31.

Climbing out on a tree branch here....

The Western Conference will be decidedly weaker next year with the exception of Owen Sound, which leads me to think we finish 3rd in the Conference.
Awwww crap! I should have chosen the blue pill...
dae a miracle

Next

Return to London Knights Forum