Would you eliminate the Trapezoid behind the icing line???

A forum for OHL fans to voice their opinions on various hockey and OHL issues.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, stormfan

Would you eliminate the Trapezoid where netminders are not permitted to play the puck?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:14 am

YES - In favour of netminders being able to play the puck anywhere in their half of the ice.
100%
NO - In favour of restricting where netminders can play the puck behind the icing line (I like the current rules).
No votes

Total votes : 2

Would you eliminate the Trapezoid behind the icing line???

Postby Eagle Vision on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:14 am

Newest Poll:

Would you remove the trapezoid where there is designated: DO NOT PLAY AREAS for netminders towards the corners?

Comments are encouraged.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision

Re: Would you eliminate the Trapezoid behind the icing line???

Postby mikita21ca on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:42 pm

No, that set up makes for more drama when people are crashing into the ends to get the puck; the goalie is limited on what he can do. and it likely protects the goalie who might be considered fair game if way over in the corner playing the puck like a D or F.

What I WOULD do is make the blue ice in front of the net the goalies, when it comes to icing calls. Because we are the only ones who have not shrunk the blue ice (even the NCAA has), I would make it the goalie's responsibility to play the puck if it goes through the blue ice. No icing call if the puck goes through those blue corners sticking out on either side of the net. Speed up the game; make the goalie play the puck, and make decisions.
mikita21ca

Postby leeaf83 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:21 pm

i dont see what the trapezoid accomplishes. The odd time it creates a powerplay but rarely do you see the puck end up in a spot the goalie cant play it. I just find it a pointless rule that accomplishes nothing. Take it out and the quicker goalies could catch teams on line changes.
leeaf83

Postby Otto on Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 am

What I would do is paint the trapezoid Blue. Make it an extention of the crease. Allow the goalie to play the puck anywher eon the ice. In the blue paint he cannot be touched, anywhere else he's fair game
Having the balls to say what you think isn't being a man - Being a man is having the balls to admit when you're wrong

Trusted by Manny
Otto

Postby leeaf83 on Sun May 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Otto wrote:What I would do is paint the trapezoid Blue. Make it an extention of the crease. Allow the goalie to play the puck anywher eon the ice. In the blue paint he cannot be touched, anywhere else he's fair game

Otto I can't see this happening. You could guarantee that if it were legal for a goalie to get run, players would plow them every chance they get. And legal or not you know that if a goalie gets hit, it will draw a crowd.
leeaf83

Postby Otto on Sat May 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Oh I know it won't happen. It's just what I would do
Having the balls to say what you think isn't being a man - Being a man is having the balls to admit when you're wrong

Trusted by Manny
Otto

Postby leeaf83 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 pm

saw on TV speculation that the OHL may eliminate the trapezoid by January 1st 2013 as it seems to be on the way out in the NHL.
leeaf83

Return to Jrahockey.com's Poll Forum